TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Test drove an S4 today...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-1999, 05:50 PM
Brad Willis

Default Test drove an S4 today...

Most of you know the story of the many problems that have occurred with my beloved TT. The car is currently in the shop again, and if it is ready Friday as expected, it will have been in the shop for a total of 47 days since I picked it up on May 6th.

If the problems cannot be resolved, another car is a possibility. Today I test drove a Nogaro Blue S4 with the blue Alcantara seats. Here are a few comments.

Wow, what accelleration. The small, twin K03 turbos really get up and go, with virtually no turbo lag. I would kill to get a TT with this engine in it. Gobs and gobs of torque, at almost any rpm. And the boost on these turbos is very low, so the car has tons of tuning potential.

This car has a very solid and confidence inspiring feel to it. The body is very firm, fut I'd like it a little firmer. The TT has it beat in terms of a sports car feel in the twisties, but the S4 is more that respectable. The S4 is very stealthy. Not too many folks will look at you, which is just the opposite of what you get with the TT. The styling is very striking, but what can compete with the TT in this department? (Nothing, in my view). The Quattro coupled with that wonderful engine is heaven. The S4's exhaust note is "sneaky". In other words, it's civilized, but there's a menacing growl beneath it all.

Overall, I'd say that the S4 is one serious kick to drive. If my problems cannot be resolved, I would certainly consider purchasing this car. If an S4 wants to race you, don't (unless you have a 225).
Old 12-20-1999, 06:56 PM
jacqth

Default Re: Test drove an S4 today...

Brad,

I test drove an S4 a couple months ago. Wow !!! What a stealthy fast car. I would seriously consider the S4 also, what a nice car. What about TT 225Q ? Are you giving up on the TT?
Old 12-20-1999, 07:11 PM
Brad Willis

No, I haven't given up on either my TT or the 225. We'll see if they can fix it this time. It is a different Audi master mechanic working on it, so who knows. If the repair doesn't work out, all possiblilties are open. Of course, the 225 won't be available until April or May, so I may not be able to wait that long.

Meanwhile, I'm checking out some other cars just in case. If I end out cashing out, I'll know in advance what I want. Besides, I just love test driving these cool, fast new cars! I think that I could be happy with an S4, but I know that I would miss my TT.
Old 12-21-1999, 01:00 AM
garyc

I'm glad you enjoyed the blast. Isn't the biturbo engine fantastic? It is a shame that it is designed for longitudinal installation and not transverse. On mixed driving I found the S4 to deliver about same fuel economy as the TT225 does, give or take 1-2mpg. Can you imagine how the RS4 will be? I am getting quite excited by the prospect. Unless you are on the power and ready, the torque of the S4 will leave TT behind. Beyond 80 its bye bye. In a lapse of sanity, pulled 150 uphill on the motorway and car was still going! When S4 was first driven by press in Europe, car magasine had a photo of the speedo showing nearly 170mph going downhill on the autobahn in Germany. I think that car may have been derestricted.

I think, having had both, it is a really tough call to choose. To afford both would be cool. Take your time on your decision.
Old 12-21-1999, 05:44 AM
Matt

I test drove an S4 and then a 180FWD TT back to back. The S4 totally blew away the TT in terms of the engine performance, responsiveness, sound etc. It certainly completely put me off buying a 180HP TT. Now I'm waiting to see how the 225 compares to the S4, if it disappoints I might well go for an S4 instead, ideally an Avant.

The S4 certainly has a lot going for it (for about the same money)...
- much better engine
- better 4WD
- better color choices
- sunroof
- power seats
- no silly spoiler
- and at the rate things are going it'll be more exclusive

Matt
Old 12-21-1999, 06:12 AM
Jenner

Default You forgot its bland looks(compared to the TT) and its a 4 door sedan vs 2 door coupe also

also the current 180 TT is 5 speed VS. 6 speed S4.

What makes you say the torsen Quattro is better than the haldex? The haldex can transfer up to 99% of power to any one wheel. The Torsen can only do 80%. The Haldex is also better for fuel economy.

I've test driven the S4, it obviously blows the stock TT out of the water in terms of engine speed/power, but I felt the handling is looser, and the suspension still a bit to cushy/floating for a sports sedan with sports car performance #'s.

You can't even begin to compare the looks. Yes I think the S4 looks awesome, like a glorified A4. But again, that's all it really is(looks wise) and just blends in(cept for the negaro blue and immola yellow) with the rest of the A4's/sports sedans on the road. There is NOTHING that looks like a TT. Only Audi enthusiasts would notice an S4 on the highway. EVERYONE notices the TT.

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett, H&R Sport Springs
Old 12-21-1999, 08:47 AM
Janet

Default 4-door vs 2-door.....(more)

I completely agree, Jenner. I personally don't think it's possible for a 4-door sedan to EVER look truly "sporty".

And as for the TT...absolutely unique and ALWAYS eye-catching. There's just nothing else like it on the road right now...and that's 'WAY over 50% of the reason that I waited so long to get one!

Janet
'00 180Q
Old 12-21-1999, 08:57 AM
Matt

Default Re: You forgot its bland looks(compared to the TT) and its a 4 door sedan vs 2 door coupe also

Well I was just quoting the plus points of the S4 not the negatives, if you want negatives...
- yep it is a boring 4-door sedan
- with a rather boring and cluttered dash
- The S4 is a tarted up, expensive A4, whereas the TT is a car in its own right.

That's why have my deposit on a 225TT not an S4.

As for the Quattro I have no experience to speak from but it just seems better to me that the Torsen is always driving the all the wheels, it doesn't have to wait for the front wheels to slip a 1/4 revolution before the computer goes "oh I suppose it would have been a good idea to use the rear wheels too"
Old 12-21-1999, 09:29 AM
TTim

Owned a 225Q for 3 months, but driven S4 also. S4 is superior car in many respects,Better Throttle response, hardly any lag, much smoother box, sheer power awesome, torque seemingly unlimited, handling superb, Roomy. It just does not look as good as TT. I think you need both.
Old 12-21-1999, 09:58 AM
Wes

Default Torsen vs Haldex

The reason everyone claims the torsen system beats the Haldex is because it is always in 4WD mode. The Haldex is Front Wheel Drive until the rear wheels need to cut in.

Quick Reply: Test drove an S4 today...