TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Thank you all Bose naysayers - I went for a listen this morning and took Bose off my 225Q order

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-1999, 01:37 PM
John TT

Default Thank you all Bose naysayers - I went for a listen this morning and took Bose off my 225Q order

Since there aren't a lot of TT's lying around my dealership, I did the comp. in an A4 Avant for apples to apples (my wife's Avant has the Concert). The bottom line is that not only do I think that the Bose isn't worth the extra $600 or so (assuming I have my dealer install a CD changer), I think I like the sound of the Concert better. The demo CD I brought along was the Allmann Brothers, 2nd Set. I cranked up "Back Where It All Begins." The bass was hacked and distorted; this does not happen on the Concert system. The Bose system's ambience (its selling point?) also came accross as contrived on this type of recording.

Hifi salesmen always hate it when I bring live recordings to listen to equipment, but I think they definately magnify a system or components shortcomings. It certainly did in this case. I can't imagine what the Bose would do to my grateful dead soundboards - Jerry's voice sounds bad enough on most of them already!

Also, the Avant had the new indash CD player. I can see why its not offerred in the TT. You are either going to need to give up the cassette or clutter up the center console.
Old 12-15-1999, 02:58 PM
Koo

Default I agree with you about the Bose sound, but (more)

I have a hard time with the idea of someone screwing around with the wiring and dash, and also then some of the integrated features would no longer work. In my last car I had the Nakamichi system, which is GREAT. The Bose is very flat compared to this, although someone's tip about turning up the treble and bass to +5 did help. I sure wish Audi would put something else in there--the car deserves a great sound system, and for $1,200, I think they could do much better! BUT, if I had to do it again, I would get the Bose, only for the reasons above.
Old 12-15-1999, 04:29 PM
John TT

Default I'll keep the Concert w/ a dealer CD-the sound is fine for me & my taste. >

I'm certainly not going to let anyone near my TT with a knife. Even if the Bose and the Concert were the same $, the distortion I got off of this track on the Bose was totally unacceptable - but remember, we're talking about loud, live Allmann Brothers (a distant cry from the Ramblin' Man & Melissa you may hear on the radio all too often).

Anyway, the point of my post was that not knowing any better, I would have ordered the Bose without thinking or listening to it, but all of the postings here made me think twice. Frankly, I thought every one was just whining and I was sure I would end up ordering it anyway. It definately isn't just whining, and I would recommend that anyone who is ordering compare the systems - and the live CD test has always done me justice. For some musical tastes, however, my guess is that the Bose probably does sound better.
Old 12-15-1999, 04:42 PM
D-TTrain

Default I have to disagree (more)

I have almost 700 CD's of various types of music, but primarily Rock. I put in one of my Metallica CD's and cranked that sucker up and was VERY impressed at the sound quality! I think my ears were bleeding afterwards but it never distorted. Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs" also sounds sweet, as does my new "KFOG Live From The Archives 6" CD. Crisp, clean and a thumpin' bass that I'm pretty impressed with. Don't know how they do that because I don't see a sub-woofer anywhere. I like crisp clean highs and a tight bass and consider myself somewhat of an audiophile, my home system is all Yamaha and Nakamichi with Infinity SM series speakers. Yes, I like a very "bright" sounding speaker. So count my vote as a big thumbs up for the BOSE system, I'm glad I got it.
Old 12-15-1999, 05:32 PM
John TT

Default So you would recommend that everyone spend the xtra $ without comparing like I did (if possible)?

And I'm talking about listening to music! (joke)
Old 12-15-1999, 06:00 PM
D-TTrain

Default No, I think sound quality if very subjective, like car color, everyone likes something (more)

different than everyone else. My point was that I thoing the BOSE system is very satisfactory, and is probably the best sounding factory stereo I've ever heard. As far as my taste in music goes, I am also a huge fan of the Allman Bros, but since I have only had my car 3 days I haven't had a chance to listen to too many different CD's yet. I picked Metallica as a test for the bass response, as they definitely have a driving bass. I have also played Nina Simone (given to me by my dealer!) and Natalie Merchant to hear the vocals. I played my Robin Trower because it is a Gold Series CD and should have the highest quality sound of just about any of my CD's. (It sounds great BTW). I also like everything from Classical (Vivaldi's 4 Seasons is one of my favorites) to Metallica. From Abba to ZZ Top. I'm also a huge David Sanborn fan. Current rock favorites consist of Creed, Days of the New, Santana, Sheryl Crow, Counting Crows, etc. My favorite Classic Rock would have to be Pink Floyd.

So, the bottom line is, if you wanna shop around go ahead, but I'm happy with the BOSE system.

Now, aren't you glad you asked? )
Old 12-15-1999, 06:05 PM
AkRascal

funny, I don't understand a word you said, but then I remember "Rock around the Clock"
Old 12-15-1999, 06:08 PM
AkRascal

Default More....

you may have a bunch of CD's , but I have a bunch of 45's... so there 8•)
Old 12-15-1999, 06:54 PM
Graham

Default Howabout.....

A wind up gramophone circa 1923 and 78's, including an original 'White Christmas'??

Graham, 225q Bose (coz it's standard here, and happy with it!!)
Old 12-15-1999, 07:46 PM
D-TTrain

Well, well, umm, I have a bunch of 8-track tapes, so there!! P

Quick Reply: Thank you all Bose naysayers - I went for a listen this morning and took Bose off my 225Q order