TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Are there any codes generated by a chipped car that can/should be cleared before dropping at dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any codes generated by a chipped car that can/should be cleared before dropping at dealer?

i was just thinking about my baby (i do miss her already

I dont have a VAG yet, but would the extra boost i get from REVO leave any codes that are clearable with a VAG?

i set my car back to stock, but was just thinking that there are probable traces still left?
Old 11-24-2003, 03:59 PM

Default Chips

If you pulled your ecm and put the stock one back you can get a battery low voltage fault in the ecm. But, even if you clear it out, and you are in for some sort of repair that could be linked to being caused by your car being chipped, it's still not that hard to tell. If asked, be honest. I've been known to mark ecm's when I knew someone was lieing to me.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:03 PM

Default lol you got no imagination..

when you disconnect the ecu you get a low buss fault as well as codes indicating the car ecu has recently been reset, ie readiness faults...Use a vag com and erase the low buss fault and also drive it for a couple of days which will get it to 100% readiness. Some are time based or distance based things, others go to readiness state straight away. Another thing to keep in mind though..is even with a serial ported car..if they measure you maximum boost they will know its been modified or that its working outside of regular parameters..at this point they may or may not try to reflash the ecu...or visible inspect for a chip..sure serial programing wont show up..but a smart tech with a boost gauge will know somethings wrong...
Old 11-24-2003, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Also replace the broken black plastic tie between the ECM housing and the pollen filter housing.

This is a dead giveaway that the ECU was tampered with.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default or just find a dealer

that realizes not everything is attributed to the chip and you are also good to go. On the flip sode of this coin is overzealous techs that blame everything on the chip...
Old 11-24-2003, 04:45 PM

Default yea

theres no disputing the fact that alot of parts on this car are gonna break whether you have chipped or not...but when you look at how much it costs to get things fixed..makes you want to reconsider leaving chipping out until your warranty is up..unless you want to pay large..I see no coverage from the magnusson act, as they as part of their **** warranty offer free replacement parts...I dont see how serial programming is invisble...over zealous techs aside...isnt it fact that if you have a repair over x amount of dollars..its not up the the dealer but rather the regional rep to ok or not? these people have the skills and tools to find a chip if its there...
Old 11-24-2003, 05:18 PM

Default Vag-com it.

No chipped car should be without one.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:24 PM

i have REVO so no physical tampering
Old 11-24-2003, 05:27 PM

Default So there arent any codes for abnormally high boost or anything like that?

any codes like that left behind that would show a car is chipped?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:15 PM

Default Yeah there is an over-boost DTC.

But a chip by itself won't cause it.

Quick Reply: Are there any codes generated by a chipped car that can/should be cleared before dropping at dealer?