TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

are there any special modifications you have to do to install a set of german eurospec taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are there any special modifications you have to do to install a set of german eurospec taillights?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You'd need to wire up the rear fog and a new headlight switch if you want that functional

otherwise they just pop right in.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Same Question Here

I have the same question, I just tried installing new euro taillights and I cannot get them to work right. Right works fine, but the left seems to have a short, but I can't find one.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does it "seem" to be doing?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:30 AM

Default voltage seems wrong and in the wrong place

The amber signal light is very dim or off, and the red marker and brake light blink when the turn signal is on. The brake light does not work when the headlights are on. I plan on taking it apart again tonight, but I don't think there is a wiring problem with the lights themselves.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A few comments...

I had a Swiss set to start with. This set has a red lens in the driver's side, that is supposed to be the fog light in Europe. It came on with the back-up light, and confused people. You could fix that by removing the bulb from that location. Instead, I got a UK-spec light for my drivers side. In the UK, the red lens is on our passenger side. So, with a UK driver's side, and a Swiss passenger side (US references for side) I have amber turns and white backup lights.

Note that the US has both lights in the housing come on for braking. In the EU and UK, only the outer light comes on. You can change that by using the US wiring block (the black piece that the bulbs mount in). This would give you US functionality with European amber turns.

I did not want the rear fog light. If you want that funtionality, you need to do more searching. I believe it has been done, but required running an additional set of wires, and the EU headlight switch.

So, I don't know what your real question is, but the lights are easily mountable and are functional out of the gate (TTmaTT, you have someting wrong with yours, your problems are NOT typical). If you have more specific questions, post them up!<ul><li><a href="http://public.fotki.com/mcphill/audi_stuff/lighting_systems/">You can see my lights and some light guts here... (a couple folders)</a></li></ul>
Old 02-02-2007, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no idea on the brake light difference... I gotta try that tonight
Old 02-02-2007, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I didn't know it until "whodkne" pointed it out to me a few months ago...
Old 02-02-2007, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the connector was the same. you didn't turn it around?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The traces are different, but only because some legs are missing in the EU one, and the

US adds the riveted on lines for the side marker. There is somethign wrong with TTmaTT's light/circuit wiring...

Quick Reply: are there any special modifications you have to do to install a set of german eurospec taillights?