TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Is there something wrong with my brakes? Please read....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there something wrong with my brakes? Please read....

Last weekend when I was driving from Seattle to Vancouver, I think my brakes failed. Its either that or something else is wrong.

The drive consist of 2 hours of driving with/o using my brakes for those 2 hours. At the end of the 2 hour drive, I applied the brakes to stop and it doesn't stop the car at all. I just keep going. After pushing MUCH harder(READ: all the way down to the ground) it finally <u>slowed</u> me down.

The condition only happens in the rain, which is leading me to believe that maybe it was wet, but even IF it was wet, it should help with the cooling and stop even better, right?

Someone please let me know because I drive up there all the time and I would hate to be part of the back of a semi. thanks
Old 10-18-2001, 01:43 PM

I definitely think that it is at least worth examinig. Take it to the dealer to be safe.
Old 10-18-2001, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You have a sticking caliper, and it's boiling the brake fluid.

The/(A) caliper is sticking, causing the pads to be still contacting the rotor, building up heat in the fluid, causing *all* braking to be poor.
I suspect one of the rears.
It may be rain related or not.
It doesn't do it dry?
If only wet, it sorta blows my theory, but it could still be sticking only in the rain, somehow.
Old 10-18-2001, 01:53 PM

Default A few questions, and some comments:

I don't think cooling had anything to do with it. You either had no friction or no boost.

Questions:

1) are your brake pads stock?

2) after the brakes grip, are they then ok until you drive for a while in the rain again? How are they when it's dry?

3) are you left foot braking in this situation?

Comments/answers:

1a) non-stock pads might be more sensitive to water and you had to heat them up and dry them out before they worked. Unless you were driving through standing water, this would be very unusual with stock pads.

2a) and 3a) perhaps you have a vacuum booster leak or a bad vacuum checkvalve for the brake booster. Also if you were left-foot braking and you were still on the gas at all you could cause a problem.

Pushing very hard to get any braking is either no boost (vacuum problem) or a very low friction coefficient between the (wet) pads and the disks. It should feel like faded brakes on a racetrack without the smell. Scary isn't it?

Remember if you aren't slowing with brakes, and the car isn't skidding, you could downshift and use engine braking. Of course that's not very effective.
Old 10-18-2001, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ...but, he said the pedal was "all the way down". Would no-boost cause that? ...

Wouldn't he still have pedal-pressure?
that is, still some pedal resistance, and not be able to push it all the way down.
Old 10-18-2001, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is this also like the A4 wet-braking problem?
Old 10-18-2001, 03:59 PM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default A few things......air in the system or a leak in your master cylinder or lines.

Wet pads and rotors not used for a long time may not work for a fraction of a second but should grab after a moment. Get 'em checked right away.
Old 10-18-2001, 04:57 PM

Default I read Jason as having to push near the floor, which is about what you get...

when vacuum boost is gone. It could be something else, but it depends on Jason's answers.

I always look for the most likely simple (cheap) answers first then go to the less likely (more expensive) answers. It comes from being trained by GM, I guess!

FWIW, I think one would notice a dragging caliper in 2 hrs. of driving. You'd think it would pull or something. Also, that's not a very common thing in my experience. Not saying no, just saying maybe.

The good thing about this forum is the open discussion and variety of opinions expressed. That comes close to the definition of a forum, I guess.
Old 10-18-2001, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Answers

1)STOCK
2)It only happens in the rain after driving for a distance with/o using them. The first time applying the brakes, no braking power, the 2nd time I use it, more if not all my brakes back.
3)nope

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-18-2001, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Only in the wet

Quick Reply: Is there something wrong with my brakes? Please read....