TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Thoughts on lease contracts? Thinking of ending my lease early ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on lease contracts? Thinking of ending my lease early ...

My financial situation has substantially changed in the two years since I leased my TT and I'm now considering ending the lease early. It looks like I'll end up having to pay a substantial fee to do so.

However, looking over my lease contract, I noticed that it's not even signed! Could I make the case that since I never legally "agreed" to the terms of the lease, I refuse to pay any and all such termination fees?

I know, I know ... I'm a scumbag for thinking such things. But my leasing company has done nothing but stick it to me from day one, otherwise I might actually be in a moral dilemma.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:40 AM
Elder Member

Default Have you tried a lease brokerage, such as leasetrader.com?

Seems like that would be a more palatable first stab - instead of asking everyone else who leases and finances their cars to absorb the costs of your default - IMO.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you can trade your car in on another vehicle just like any other purchase.

there is a buyout amount that you can find out at anytime during your lease, and if your are buying another car through a dealer that dealer can buyout the lease for an omount less then your buyout because they do not have to pay tax. Now, if the value the dealer places on your car is less than the buyout you will have negative equiyt and need to pay the balance to the purchasing dealer or build it into a new loan or lease. I usually do that is mileage is high on a lease because the negative equity usually turns out to be much less than the standard mileage overage fee on a lease agreement.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:06 AM
Elder Member

Default I've ternimated a few early....

For the most part, the process is the same as trading in any car before the financing is paid off. Call your leasing co. or bank to get the exact payoff figure then look up your trade value for an approximate idea of how much you'll be paying to end the lease (upside-down figure). As a rule, the earlier in your lease you terminate, the higher your out of pocket costs will be. If you're 2 years into a 3 yr lease, you might come out OK (but will still owe $$).

You're out of luck on the lack of signature idea b/c your payments to date act as ratifications of the terms of the lease contract. You might want to run the issue by an attorney in your State but I'd be very surprised to learn differently.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:39 AM
Elder Member

Good point on high mileage lease vehicles.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:31 AM

Default Re: If it's ab Audi lease they'll whole sale it to a dealer. You pay

the difference between what they get and what your payoff quote is.