TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Timing belt horror belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt horror belt

I have a story that will shock you as how notorious a dealer can be with the timimg belt issue including Audi North America. I have been a regular with the servicing/ replacements for the 2001 TT 225HP since I bought it certified used from Diablo Lincon Mercury Kia Audi in Concord California. [If you search for their name on Google or Yahoo, first link is of another upset customer who has put up an open letter about this dealer].
My car had stalled and I was told that the timing belt has broken but it was covered under certfied used warranty till 105,000 [I had 93,000 miles], I was relieved that I had a narrow escape. Next day, I get a call that there is no oil in the engine and the engine had failed due to oil starvation, I was horrified. I had just replaced the engine oil [Mobil 1 5-40W with STP Oil Treatment always] 3 weeks back, there was not engine knocking, no white smoke, no leak, no low oil warning signal on the computer and the crankshaft wasn't locked[ which would mean that the low oil caused the bearings to break and lock the shaft]. On ignition, one could hear it still wind up so I knew it was just the timing belt. Anyways, after a week of research, I took it to an independent german mechanic who suggested that I replace the engine as it would be less labor cost for me. I got a 50K used engine with 6 months warranty for $3700 + Tax and $1000 in labor. Guess what the dealer had quoted. $ 9500.00.
I called Audi North America and they backed the dealer.
The mechanic who had fixed my car, tore up the old engine and took pictures to prove that the broken timing belt was the reason the valves got bent and the reason behind getting a new engine. He has given me written statement backing the engine failure. He is ready to go to small claims court with me on this issue as he also believes that the dealership had been extremely cunning in getting out of the situation.
Now I am getting the small claims court paperwork and filing against the dealership as this is fraud. I am also filing with BBB and already in correspondance with a lawyer for punititive damages. I have heard that some people are filing for class action lawsuit, give me the attorny's contact info and I will have my lawyer speak to the attornies and pursue this issue all the way.
I have Audi A6 4.2l 2000 as well and the dealership took one year to fix an issue that if I had met this competent mechanic, I would have had it fixed in one visit.
This Audi TT is my third Audi in 4 years. I have had problems with all 3 of them and it is coming to a point where Toyota Camry is becoming my dream car.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

wow........go get em,and keep us all posted..........
Old 04-23-2006, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry, "FNAudiDealer" hope you get him, I just had...............

another coil pack fail, under warranty with only 19k miles. He told me it was cracked and Audi doesn't cover "damaged" parts, jacka$$. We are still trying to resolve this. Good luck with yours.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default many here will back you on this, and Audi/AoA needs to change its stance on this timing belt issue

or continue to place itself at very high risk for exactly what it deserves on this: a class action lawsuit. There are many examples of similar or same scenarios repeating themselves over and over here. Unfortunately you're just the latest example. Fight it!

Rich
Old 04-23-2006, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

absolutly right Rich
Old 04-23-2006, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The tide is rising!!
Old 04-23-2006, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i am trying to get a class action going.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:20 PM

Default This really pisses me off cause my friend lost his jetta due to a timing belt.

i feel u man. this stuff is CRAP and shouldn't be happening. good luck.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

wtf? what do they mean by damaged? They are implying you damaged it?
Old 04-23-2006, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's what I took from their comment, they first said I had several mods.....

then went into the damaged theory. I'm calling Audi customer service first thing Monday.

Quick Reply: Timing belt horror belt