TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT 4Motion?! Is Audi going one step foward, two steps back?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-1999, 09:09 AM
DaveL

Default TT 4Motion?! Is Audi going one step foward, two steps back?!

I just read the following in the 10/99 C&D:

"Because the TT is built on the humble Gold platform, Audi borrowed and updated the four-wheel-drive system from the Euro Golf 4motion. Unlike other Audis that use a Torsen limited-slip center diff, the TT employs an electrohydraulically controlled clutch. Under normal operation, 100% of vehicle torque is routed to the front wheels, but if the computer detects wheel spin, it can send nearly all torque to the rears."

So what's the deal? Isn't Torsen supposed to be superior? And isn't it true that regular Quattro is NOT 100% FWD under normal conditions? As a potential buyer of a TT Quattro, I'm a bit disappointed in learning about this.

Any input from others? Is this "updated" 4motion as good as the normal Quattro?

I'm still dizzy from the shock of reading this info! ;-)
Dave

Old 10-03-1999, 10:54 AM
SWingard

Default Re: TT 4Motion?!

The Torsen-based quattro system does have a 50/50 torque split under normal conditions.

But it's a royal pain in the *** to make that drivetrain work with a transverse engine/transaxle layout. And it requires more space, which makes it less than ideal for use in the smaller A-chassis cars (Golf/Jetta, Audi A3, TT, etc.)

I bought my TTq after owning an A4 quattro for 3 years. I have no complaints at all.
Old 10-03-1999, 02:39 PM
Andy W

Default Don't Buy a Ford

Buying an Audi isn't just about 4WD its about having a car that can take everything you can throw at it (100k) and not suffer monkey metal failure, and still look like new. My other car is a Audi 90 20v that's 10 years old, and yes ok its styling is a bit senior citizenish, but its never fails (110k) and goes like f***. Join the club and have a car for life!
Old 10-03-1999, 04:21 PM
BreTT

Default Re: TT 4Motion?! Is Audi going one step foward, two steps back?!

Dave,

I'm not an expert on this but it was told to me by some tech folks at Audi that the Haldex Quattro in the TT is superior to the Torsen and that it can put as much as 100% power to any wheel in the system if needed. Torsen can't. I'm sure there are some people who could shed more light on this.