TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT Article, some humor: "INITIALLY IT WENT WOBBLY AT HIGH SPEEDS, THEN ITS SUSPENSION FAILED."

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 08:24 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TT Article, some humor: "INITIALLY IT WENT WOBBLY AT HIGH SPEEDS, THEN ITS SUSPENSION FAILED."

Copyright 2001 Newspaper Publishing PLC
The Independent (London)

October 13, 2001, Saturday

SECTION: FEATURES; Pg. 69

LENGTH: 597 words

HEADLINE: THE VERDICT: IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED ...;
INITIALLY IT WENT WOBBLY AT HIGH SPEEDS, THEN ITS SUSPENSION FAILED. BUT NOW AUDI RECKONS IT HAS CURED THE FAULTS OF THE TT ROADSTER. AND LET'S FACE IT, IT'S EASY TO FORGIVE SOMETHING THIS BEAUTIFUL

BYLINE: Words Michael Booth

BODY:

What with last year's high-speed instability problems (cured by a hastily tacked-on rear spoiler) and the recent spate of calamitous rear suspension failures, the lustre has been somewhat lost from the Audi TT following the ecstatic response when it was launched (if you own a TT and haven't had the suspension checked, call the Audi helpline on 0800 699888, pronto). You wonder what has to happen before a manufacturer withdraws a car from sale, but Audi says it has now managed to stop its stylish two-seater from launching into space, or falling off the road, so I thought it might be safe to take a look at the convertible version.

Foibles aside, Jane, Craig and Lesley adored the TT's styling. I can't argue with the dazzling postmodern, post-industrial, post-me-a-copy-of- Wallpaper interior, but without its roof, the TT loses much of its drama - it looks like a hi-tech bath tub. In terms of how they feel to drive, there is little to choose between the soft -top and coupe, or between them and the VW Golf, with which they share a floor pan, engine, brakes, steering and suspension. As any young man with a baseball cap and a copy of Autocar will tell you, the TT is no match for the precision-handling Porsche Boxster along a country lane, but it will manage over 150mph which, when I was a kid, was supercar territory, and will still do me just fine.

But I am not so taken with the price tag. For a less powerful model, prices start at pounds 26,300, but our 225bhp version, fitted with alloy wheels, Bose stereo and metallic paint, weighed in at pounds 32,435. For that money you could get a BMW 3-series convertible, Mercedes CLK or even a second- hand 911.

Craig Jenner, 41, ex MoD official from Doddington, Kent. Drives a Rover 600

"It's like an old rollerskate with a jet engine strapped to the back. I've never experienced acceleration like that. Initially it looks a bit girly but it grows on you and I think it would appeal to boys and girls 50: 50. I reckon it'll get the mid-life crisis market, older people who want a little fun but still need a practical day-to-day drive. There's plenty of space in the boot. It's not a young tearaway's car. Before I drove this I wanted a Mercedes SLK, but now I'd definitely consider a TT. I'd be more than happy to pay pounds 32,000 for it."

Jane Twist, 50, shop owner from Hythe, Kent. Drives a Mercedes A-Class

"It's nice and gutsy, and it's fast enough for me. The styling's fab, it will appeal to both sexes. I loved the design details on the filler cap and dashboard. I've always had Volkswagens, and this definitely has a VW feel. I like Golfs, so the platform sharing thing doesn't put me off, and Audi has a good reputation for reliability. It feels kind of sturdy. I couldn't use it though, I have to collect stock all the time and the boot wouldn't be anywhere near big enough."

Lesley Blake, 50, artist from Canterbury, Kent. Drives a Renault Laguna

"It's absolutely fantastic, utterly seductive. There's brilliant acceleration, it's very smooth and definitely willing. I was slightly concerned about vision to the rear, but the wing mirrors were pretty good. It looks slightly retro, like an early Porsche, so it really gets my vote. The gear change was very smooth, the ride was firm. Other convertibles I've tried have been draughty and rattly, but with the roof up, you wouldn't really know this is a soft top. My two children would love it, but of course it would be totally impractical. It's a toy. A typical owner would be a prosperous architect, male or female."

LOAD-DATE: October 13, 2001
Old 10-14-2001, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So.....how was the Date?
Old 10-14-2001, 08:55 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice.
Old 10-14-2001, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts