TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT cigarette lighter and cell phone dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-1999, 07:24 PM
HI TTEK

Default TT cigarette lighter and cell phone dilemma

I use my cell phone a lot while driving, and I like to have the phone permanently plugged into the cigarette lighter.

One thing I find slightly annoying (if that word could even be used about TT!) is the fact that cigarette lighter is covered by the ashtray thing. You need to open an ashtray drawer to be able to access the lighter.

Did anyone try removing the ashtray altogether?? Any better ideas??
Old 10-11-1999, 04:01 AM
DennyA

Default Possible solution for Nokia and Motorola

I saw an ad in the NY Times magazine last week for a hands-free solution for Motorola Star/TAC and Nokia 6100/5100 series.

It's a cradle that includes a speaker and microphone with volume control. A pivoting shaft protrudes from the back with a terminal that fits into the cigarettes lighter. The location of the gearshift lever will not allow it to work on the TT, so I got to thinking. I have a quattro, which means that the ASR button is a blank. If you take out the button and install a cigarette lighter in its place (I hear Radio Shack sells several sizes) you could have the phone positioned in a much better locaton for speaking. I spoke to an Audi mechanic who thinks that there is room behind the switch. You can access it by removing the radio.

My one concern is appearence. I don't want an exposed cigarette lighter receptacle in the dash. If there is a way to put a light spring hinge on the button, it could look great.

The holder can be found at www.Comtrad2.com.

DennyA<ul><li><a href="http://www.comtrad.com/index.cfm?site=85091">Cell phone adaptor</a></li></ul>
Old 10-11-1999, 06:43 AM
Kevin M

Default TT cigarette lighter and cell phone dilemma

I posted the following info on the forum back in June

regards - Kevin

I modified a 12v connector, from Pep Boys, by reducing its length in half and soldering the wires from two female connectors (Radio Shack) into it, filled all the vacant space with black silicone.
It allows me to completely close the ashtray, bring the wires and connectors out back so I can use a radar detector and cell phone.
Total cost less than $10.

Old 10-11-1999, 06:55 AM
rc

Default Re: TT cigarette lighter and cell phone dilemma

I removed the ashtray and used 'scotch' connectors to tap power from the cig. lighter leads and ran the wire out from behind the ashtray. I attached the new socket to the forward post of the passenger side dash brace with double sided tape and a black cable tie. Cost - about $7 and 1/2 hour.