TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT rainbow

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-1999, 06:10 AM
Royce Howland

Default TT rainbow

As I often do, earlier this week I swung by my local (Calgary) Audi dealer's back lot on the way home from work. My attention was immediately caught by an Amulet Red TT sitting in the back area, still in its shipping wrap. "Holy TToledo!" I thought to myself. Naturally, I pulled over and went up to the chain link fence, pressing my face into the links as far as it would go to get a look at the new arrival.

After drinking in the smooth, red tone for a few seconds, my peripheral vision became aware of some additional interesting shapes. Sure enough, there were in fact several newly arrived TTs sitting back there. In total, I spied one each of Amulet Red, Aviator Grey, Denim Blue, Desert Green, and of course an obligatory Lake Silver. A rainbow of TTs! Sadly, no blacks were visible. This in addition to the Denim Blue demo unit sitting out front. All vehicles were 180Q's; we don't get the FWD up here in the Great White North.

Saturday, I headed out to run some errands. Later on I went back by the dealer again and talked to my rep, Brian. (Oddly, he had left me voice mail while I was out, telling me to come on down. We seem to sync up coincidentally like this a lot due to my incessant evening snoop runs. :~) Naturally, we went straight back to the receiving area and started circling the new vehicles like vultures.

Lake Silver: What can you say, the definitive TT color. Shows the lines of the vehicle clearly and impressively, and melds with the aluminum theme to a T (or should that be "to a TT"?). This will be the most common color; for that reason, I'm intending to pass on this shade, although I quite like it and it is my wife's fave.

Amulet Red: WOW! For anybody wanting some _flash_, this color is definitely like getting hit with a shot of adrenaline straight to the heart! If you're driving something else and see one of these go by, the effect might be akin to a haymaker from the champ -- your nervous system is going to shut down, so get ready to replace your air bags! This vehicle is truly stunning. The red is slightly deeper than the red of the tail lights. It is offset very nicely by the black of the tires and front grill works. Again, WOW! Nevertheless, because the TT is naturally an attention grabber in any color, I'm also going to pass on Amulet Red, unless by ordering time I've been overcome by a fit of raw, quivering lust to drive an incredible cop magnet / accident generator.

Aviator Grey: Hmm, very intriguing. This is a color that probably provokes in most people an initial thought of "Yawn". But in person, the TT in grey was a somewhat mesmerizing shape. The color is understated, almost an absence of color, that -- far from allowing the eye of the observer to slide on by -- causes a double take. "What _is_ that? I can't quite pin it down." I don't know of anything on the road quite like it. Very distinctive, and a very good fit for the "back to the future" styling of the TT. Gives the impression that the vehicle so adorned would be equally comfortable cruising the autobahn at dusk as slicing the air on its way to strafe the crap out of some hapless contender for its chosen space. This one is a serious option for me.

Denim Blue: Probably the second most often seen color after silver, but still not too common, relatively speaking. The metallic effect adds a shimmer as this machine sits under the big blue Alberta sky, sun beaming down. A blue TT, much like a yummy Christmas treat, looks good enough to eat. (Despite the fact that there is hardly any blue food occurring in nature. Odd, huh?) The red tail lights counter-point the body shade very nicely. Over all a very cool, clean, distinctive blend that I personally figure is my number one choice so far.

Desert Green: A TT in any color has got to be an arresting sight to any sapient life form. Having said that, and with apologies in advance to fans of Desert Green, I find this color doesn't work for me on the TT. It's a close match in hue for my '98 Passat, which I really like, but I find on the TT that the color camouflages the lines of the car and makes for a bit too subdued an impression. I'll probably give this one a second look once the wrap and transport grime are off; perhaps if I create a mental image of some chlorophyll-ingesting jungle cat on the prowl...?

I haven't yet seen either of the blacks in person. Some of the images posted to this forum (e.g. MNE's) look quite stunning. However, black is probably a bit too much attitude for me. So I think I'm basically looking at Denim Blue vs. Aviator Grey.

Some other minor details: All vehicles had the Canadian spec bumper additions; as I've mentioned before, I can live with these things. All cars also had the front license plate mounting bracket already on. This probably doesn't look as out of place on a Canadian TT as it would on others, due to the cut-out in the bumper extension that would be an obvious gap even with the bracket or a front plate.

All but the Desert Green had the 17" 6-spoke wheels; the green had the stock (but uncommon) 16" 5-spoke wheels. My rep thought there might be some more wheel variations by the time 225Q's are happening. The current estimate is that I can probably spec my 225Q around the middle of 1Q2000, with a delivery date of probably July at the earliest. (I'm 6th on the 225Q list here.)

I must say, seeing so many varied TTs at once was a rare and unexpected treat, and really helped me firm up my impressions of most of the different color options. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Royce
Old 12-12-1999, 06:26 AM
AkRascal

Default Nice commentary, eh?

I shall have to pass this on to my wife, who is an artist and has suffered through many TT comments and articles. Being very much into colors, this is probably the first she will enjoy.
Old 12-12-1999, 06:27 AM
y2ktturbo

Somebody buy Royce a digital camera! That would have been the definitive TT photo! (nt)
Old 12-12-1999, 07:40 AM
Jenner

Wow! Very nicely done! Are you a author or english teacher or something? (nt)
Old 12-12-1999, 08:05 AM
april

Default Nah, he's in marketing ;-) - ( just joking, I don't know)

Watch for the Raven black. The clearcoat has the faintest of gold overtones. It is a little more flash than Aviator, but still subdued.

The Desert green will come into its own when we get the authentic int. for the roadster.

April
former Banff resident
Old 12-12-1999, 08:13 AM
D-TTrain

Very well articulated, succintly put and eloquently stated! Nice job! ) (nt)
Old 12-12-1999, 08:27 AM
GaryG

Default RED is BEST and I love driving it.

As I posted recently, I got my RED TTq with everything last Monday and WHOA!!!! I love it more and more each day. What a head turner. (One couple in the car behind me at a stop light took a picture of the car - at night with a flash!!) I wasn't sure about RED when I ordered, and it was not what I expected. BUT it's better and I was very glad.

Royce - You are correct = RED is BEST = straight to the heart (and probably Johnny Law's Ticket book)

Cary was at the dealer (Reeves - Tampa) when I picked up. He was having the typical color decision problem, till they rolled my RED into the showroom for the final look over. He's getting the one I ordered, as I got lucky and after 36 days from signing buyer order, the dealer got an extra car not on the production schedule. Sorry you guys are still waiting - I won the RED lottery!!

Still driving too much to get out and take a picture. Those pictures posted Friday are pretty good, but the red is a deeper/darker color.
Old 12-12-1999, 12:34 PM
Royce Howland

Default Re: Nice commentary, eh?

No problem, eh. As a hard-core tech geek (I run an Internet software product company), I like to cross over to the other side every so often. Music is more usually my bag, rather than the visual arts, but having so many vehicles in one place at one time was irrestible. I was inspired! :~)

Can't wait to try the Bose out with some good Renaissance choral music. Earlier commentary seems to indicate that the Bose system leans in favor of classical tones.

Royce
Old 12-12-1999, 12:39 PM
Royce Howland

Default Re: Somebody buy Royce a digital camera!

Funny you should mention. :~) I just picked one up recently. I've taken a few random shots up to now. I also got a very complete set of shots of a Denim Blue just after a thorough post-delivery cleaning job, inside the service area. But I haven't had anything I felt was good enough to post yet.

I think I'll beg and plead with my dealer to get a few shots of this current set after they're cleaned up. If I get 'em, I'll post. It would be, I think, somewhat unique so far in the image gallery.

Royce
Old 12-12-1999, 12:43 PM
Royce Howland

Default Re: Wow! Very nicely done!

Negatory, just a lowly cook. Whoops! Sorry, just finished watching Seagal in Under Siege. :~)

I'm a techno geek by profession, and probably a repressed writer of some kind. After all the consulting papers I've written, the blarney flows naturally. I have been told I need to cut the word count down, though, and keep in mind that some people don't peruse Reader's Digest just for the "It Pays to Enrich Your Word Power" column. Heh.

Royce

Quick Reply: TT rainbow