TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

The TT rip offs are now in full swing...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-1999, 08:34 AM
Jim Torongo

Default The TT rip offs are now in full swing...

If you are a TT fan, and you must be, pick up the 1/2000 issue of C&D. As we already know the TT was named to the Ten Best list and there is also a TT Quattro review. But you need to check out the coverage of the Tokyo Auto show. One quote from C&D "Perhaps the most blatant of several Audi TT rip-offs was this cute roadster...." they are taling about the Daihatsu Kopen. JIM
Old 12-10-1999, 08:45 AM
TimoThy

IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE "our" DREAM CAR............shoo, shooo, go away! (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 08:49 AM
Hamakua_Boy

Default I'm just waiting for bigger car companies dig into the look of the TT...

the Eclipse touches upon it... but... it could have been.... a.. coincidence? NAhhhh!

: ) -Jason-

Did C&D or R&T ever comment upon the gas caps between the two? AutoWeek?
Old 12-10-1999, 11:00 AM
Janet

Default Re: The TT rip offs are now in full swing...

Jim,
Isn't it amazing how many of the concept cars shown in the "C&D" issue resemble our TT's in one way or another?

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"????
Aarrgghh!! Personally, I'll keep THE ORIGINAL, thank you very much!!

Janet
Old 12-10-1999, 11:11 AM
Jim T

Yes, you can see styling ques everywhere, subtle though they may be, the TT is the best, I agree. (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 04:38 PM
Roger

Default I woulda bought an eclipse, but...

The eclipse was the first thing I looked at to replace my Eagle Talon...I liked that car, and...damn...it was SO good in the snow. (awd, of course).
Y2K eclipse?...sexy looking I thought...AWD? What, no AWD? 4 banger + turbo? What? A v6? (Well, that would solve the turbo lag problem...).
Then I saw and drove a Raven black TT.
Sorry Mitsubishi. You lose.

Old 12-15-1999, 08:57 PM
Maurice

Default Re: I woulda bought an eclipse, but...

When I decided it was time for the (affordable) sports car purchase, I really latched onto the 2000 Eclipse. Test drove it, liked it. Got my wife in it for a 2nd test drive, she pointed out the negatives, mostly on quality issues, "fit and finish". So I looked around again and "found" the TT (obviously I hadn't been doing my homework). We've repeated the process and I think she rather enjoyed being at the wheel... Course the price is a bit higher, but the TT is so much better. Now just have to decide to take the financial plunge - and maybe wait a few months!
Wish me luck on my decision and patience for the wait, I really like the TT.