TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT Theft

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-1999, 08:21 AM
Hank

Default TT Theft

I'm expecting delivery of my TTQ tomorrow, and even though I'm really excited to get my first new car, I'm somewhat concerned on having the TTQ stolen. I live in Southern California, and five years ago, I had my Honda stolen TWICE - and both times the car was completed stripped (just the interior).

I know that not too many TT's were shipped to the U.S., but has anyone heard of TT's being stolen, and what devices do all of you have, i.e. LoJack, other alarms.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-1999, 09:03 AM
martin

Default Re: TT Theft

we here in uk use TRACKER MONITOR, its the dogs bollox, its 24 hr car security
Old 12-22-1999, 11:06 AM
Brad Willis

Default Re: TT Theft

Hank, as a former police officer who has personally recovered over 100 stolen vehicles, I strongly recommend the LoJack system. I have written several posts on the subject, and rather than rehash all of the details, I might suggest that you do a search of the TT forum, and type in the word LoJack.

Also, since you are a SoCal resident, you might be interested in taking a look at our SoCal Audi TT Club. The link below will take you to the homepage. If you care to, sniff around a bit, then click on "Join", which will take you to our Yahoo Clubs companion site. Happy holidays to you!<ul><li><a href="http://home.san.rr.com/winefinds">SoCal Audi TT Club</a></li></ul>
Old 12-22-1999, 11:42 AM
Janet

Default LoJack

Brad,

I've been considering LoJack...BUT, I honestly wonder if I would even want my 180Q back if some jerk had tried to steal it. Let's face it, he/she certainly would NOT drive it with the same skill & care that *I* do, and I'm not sure it would ever be the same again. Perhaps I would just prefer to start over...even knowing that it would mean a LONG wait once again.

I'd appreciate others' thoughts about this.

Janet
'00 180Q
Old 12-22-1999, 12:08 PM
Paul Fletcher

Default Re: LoJack

Janet,

We have a system in the UK called Tracker which is the same thing. I used it to recover my car when it was stolen from the middle of Manchester the day we were going on holiday. The car was recovered in 45 minutes and repaired by the time we got back (2 weeks later). I really can't tell the car has been stolen and they didn't get very far. It's excellent and I will be having the new system fitted to my TT when it arrives. Don't know if you get it but the service monitors the car 24 hours a day and if it moves when it shouldn't they will phone or page you (or anyone else you nominate.)

One other thing to consider is the police might also catch the "culprits" (being polite there!)

Cheers,
Paul.
Old 12-22-1999, 12:08 PM
Denny

Default My stolen BMW story....(more)

Stolen out of my driveway...it was found supposedly with no damage. Norwalk police told me where to go pick it up....by the time I get there, it has been re-stolen...unreal. This time, they run it through a couple chain link fences and into a wall. It looks totalled to me, BUT NO, the insurance company fixed the darn thing. In this case, I wish it had just disappeared for good the first time. Thank heavens for a reallllly nice repair guy, who sorta, kinda, included the deductible in his estimate. So, I'm with you, if it's stolen, it's stolen.
Old 12-22-1999, 04:35 PM
Brad Willis

Default Re: LoJack

I hear this a lot, and I think it is the wrong stance to take. I believe that if your TT was recovered quickly and with very minimal damage, you would want it back. I believe that the insurance companies factor in depreciation when they pay off a claim, so you won't necessarily get back enough to buy a new car without digging into your pocket for several grand.

Many LoJack equipped cars are recovered within 1 hour, and the overwhelming majority within 24 hours. If the car can be recovered fast, there is often very little damage. Plus, I received a discount on the LoJack itself, and it reduces my insurance costs enough to pay for the unit in about 5 years. Here's a link to their website:<ul><li><a href="http://www.lojack.com">LoJack</a></li></ul>
Old 12-22-1999, 06:08 PM
Janet

Default I appreciate everyone's comments....maybe I'll reconsider getting LoJack. (nt)

nt
Old 12-23-1999, 05:09 AM
Victor F

On the subject of Lo Jack/Tracker (UK) how has the quality of installation been?
Old 12-23-1999, 07:55 AM
Gary C (UK)

Default Re: On the subject of Lo Jack/Tracker (UK) how has the quality of installation been?

Had my Tracker fitted at Thames Car Radio in Bracknell - very good job . No noticeable signs of anything been moved / refixed and was done in a couple of hours.