TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT vs. Boxster vs. S2000 vs Miata vs. Z3 vs SLK vs ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-1999, 07:22 PM
Brad Willis

Default TT vs. Boxster vs. S2000 vs Miata vs. Z3 vs SLK vs ...

I've been reading much banter of late as to which of the new sports cars is the "best". So I put some thought into it, and my conclusion is that we are really lucky that so many excellent and relatively affordable sports cars are curretly available.

First of all, we owe the folks a Mazda a big thank you, for were it not for their bold move of introducing the groudbreaking Miata, we would not likely be driving our beloved TTs.

The Boxster is also plenty cool. My boss drives a red one and it is very sweet. Great performance and handling, excellent balance, and sounds wonderful. A superior car with a superior pedigree.

Man would I like to drive an S2000. I've owned 3 Hondas, and these guys know how to build a car. I never had a problem with any of them. I saw a video of the S2000 in action, and it looks bitchin'. 9000 rpm! Sounds like a blast to me.

My Assistant drives a good-looking white Z3. She put the top down a few weeks back and took me to lunch. What a fun sports car. It handles great, looks sharp, and was an excellent value.

My last car was a Mercedes, and I have been a big fan of the marquee. To think that they could come out with such an interesting convertible at a very low price. And the retractable hardtop is truly a marvel of German engineering.

And you know what I think of out TTs. Great handling, excellent performance, truly revolutionary styling, and one of the best values on the road. A sports car that can hold 4 sets of golf clubs, is the first car in the World to meet Euro 2003 safety standards, and is rated at 31 mpg highway.

What a great time we live in!
Old 10-05-1999, 07:45 PM
Cliff Melick

Default Re: TT vs. Boxster vs. S2000 vs Miata vs. Z3 vs SLK vs ...

I must agree...have had experience with Porsches, Hondas, Mercedes, and soon..Audi "sports cars" (to say nothing of Audi sedans), and I feel very fortunate to have driven some of the very best. Looking forward to my TTQ in October!
Old 10-05-1999, 11:13 PM
Spelcheka Grammer

Default At least you can't mispell TT

curretly -
groudbreaking -
was an excellent-
marquee- very large soft top
Old 10-06-1999, 05:16 AM
spunkjunkiehater

Do you get your mom to wipe your **** for you? (nt)
Old 10-06-1999, 05:40 AM
Mike Owens

Default Re: Well said, Brad...(more)

I agree with you Brad. Not since the muscle car crazed days of the 60's has there ever been a better time to buy a fun, high-performance car than right now.

Just think - just in the 90's, cars like the Corvette ZR-1 and C5, the Dodge Viper, the Porsche 993, 996 and Boxster, the Plymouth Prowler, the Acura NSX, the Honda S2000, and the TT have been introduced and built.

Gas is cheap, cars are fast - it couldn't be any better. Enjoy!
Old 10-06-1999, 06:10 AM
Matt

Default Couldn't be more true (more)

I am the proud owner of an SLK AMG. I feel very lucky and it's a joy to see so many cool cars around. Since I was 18 my dream-car had been the Audi S2 Coupe'. When things started going well and I was able to affort such a car the production had ceased. An S6 wasn't the kind of car I was after, there was not a hot enough A3. Never been to keen on Bimmers (great cars but not for me thanks). Then the SLK came along.

I was already a big fan of the 3-pointed star and I had read about a project called TT but it was at least 2 years away. I didn't want to wait so I made my choice. It had to be the SLK. My father had always owned Mercedes and I had always liked them. I thought I'd buy one when I was a bit older. But the SLK did the trick for me.

Now I have 12,000 Km on the clock in 4 months (I had put the order down in April 97...) and I am the happiest driver around.

I am sure you guys feel the same about your TT. I think this is what is all about. ENJOY YOUR CAR, it's a beauty...

Sorry for the lenght of the post
Old 10-06-1999, 07:35 AM
Bruce R.

Default Re: TT vs. Boxster vs. S2000 vs Miata vs. Z3 vs SLK vs ...

Nice comments Brad, very diplomatic.
The fact of the matter is that the best car of the bunch is always the one that's in "your" driveway, no matter which car it is.
Old 10-06-1999, 10:09 AM
phred

Default You are correct sir ...

It is amazing how roadsters came back from the grave. It was a really ballsy move on Mazda's part to decide that the Lotus Elan could be modernized into a car for the '80s and '90s. And luckily for them, it was a home run, one of the few they have had in the past few years. Now they need to get cracking on the RX-7 replacement.

Unfortunately, the new Miata doesn't seem to be catching on. Here in So Cal, I see very few and this should be one of their strongest markets.