TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT Winter Tires, wheels, and sizes......??? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-1999, 09:43 AM
Jim C

Default TT Winter Tires, wheels, and sizes......??? (long)

Just got my new TT Quattro last week, and now must face what to buy for tires (and maybe wheels) by about December 1st.
I live about 40 miles north of Detroit. Winter here basically runs from late November until late March. Thats roughly 120 days. Out of that, we have 12-15 days a season where there is actually snow on the roads. That leaves well over 100 days where the roads are clear and dry, or at most, wet.
Obviously, I am not making the monthly payments that I am to give up performance and handling for four months a year, and so, a pure snow tire is out of the question.
I am looking for a very good, high performance, all season tire. Something that will work pretty well in the snow, but provide very good or better handling in dry or wet.
I have read through a lot of postings in the A4 tire forums, but 90% of that refers to actual "snow tire varieties".
The Michelin Pilot XGT-Z4's and the Pirelli 210A's seem to be about the closest to what I need. Any other suggestions?
I also know a lot of all season/winter tires arent even available in 17 inch sizes. How affordable is it to go to new 16 inch wheels and what 16 inch tire size would be best for the TT? I know Tire Rack and Ronal offer packages, but the Ronal ones run at least $1000.00, and I dont know that I could bear to put those steel wheels and cheesy plastic wheel covers from Tire Rack, on my new TT in only 8 weeks. Thanks for any and all input.

Jim C
Old 09-30-1999, 10:43 AM
Neil Herring

I went with the Pirelli 210As, steel wheels & "cheezy" plastic hubcaps ($750). Same thoughts! (nt)
Old 09-30-1999, 11:33 AM
WGJ

Default Dunlops.......

I did quite a bit of research on this.
The Dunlop Winter Sport M2's are what you want.
They perform minimally worse in snow ( new uncleared) than the Pirelli's and substantially better on wet and dry pavement. They are also quiter and slightly cheaper at Tire Rack, though more expensive from Ronal.
Old 09-30-1999, 06:07 PM
Jon Clinch

Default Pirelli 210As with New Beetle OEM wheels...more

...from Ronal, for $975 plus s/h. They remove the VW logo and replace it with their own.

The Beetle wheel is nice, I think -- and besides, my wife has a Beetle to use them on when my TT lease runs out.
Old 10-01-1999, 06:13 AM
MaTTW

Default I went with Pirelli A210's and Borbet Type H 16

for just about the same reasons you explained.
Old 10-01-1999, 03:59 PM
pete78

Default Consider Goodyear Eagle M&S

Here's another option: I used Goodyear GT Mud & Snow on my VW GTI and I was very happy with the performance. They are available in both H and V ratings.

http://www.goodyear.com/us/tires/tirecatalog/AutoWinterEAGLEMSTL.html

<ul><li><a href="http://www.goodyear.com/us/tires/tirecatalog/AutoWinterEAGLEMSTL.html">http://www.goodyear.com/us/tires/tirecatalog/AutoWinterEAGLEMSTL.html</a</li></ul>