TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

IS TURBO COOLDOWN NECESSARY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-1999, 08:12 AM
jim singler

Default IS TURBO COOLDOWN NECESSARY?

on my ttq (750 miles so far)there is a fan in front of the turbo that stays on for several minutes after hard driving (?). having never owned a turbo i ask 1) what is hard driving? so far i have not run it up to the redline (is there a rev limiter?) and have not power shifted. 2) do i need to let the engine idle for several minutes after every use (daily commute is 30 miles each way - half highway (60-90 mph), the other half twisty roads (max 50 mph)).

HELP
Old 10-09-1999, 12:54 PM
Bill

Default Sometimes...

At least that is what I was told by the service manager at the Audi dealership where I purchased my TT. According to the service manager pushing the car hard up and down through the gears is what really gives the turbo a workout that needs a cool down. Driving at highway speeds does not put that kind of demand on the turbo nor would the twisty roads unless you are indeed 'romping' on it. Enjoy your car.
Old 10-10-1999, 06:29 AM
DennyA

Default The owners manual says (page 92)(more)

"Do not stip the engine immediately after hard or extended driving. Keep engine running for about two minutes to prevent excessive heat build-up."

The odd thing is that the warning is in the "Controls and Equipment" section, not "Vehicle Operation."
Old 10-10-1999, 07:44 PM
you need a turbo timer

Default Re: IS TURBO COOLDOWN NECESSARY?

Buy a turbo timer. It allows your turbo to cool down after you leave!
Old 10-11-1999, 01:29 PM
nader

Default Re: IS TURBO COOLDOWN NECESSARY?

By keeping the engine running you circulate oil to the turbo bearings this avoiding "coking", which turns to oil to a hard, black substance thus ruining the turbo. The fan cools but you need to keep the oil running for a minute or two.