TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Turbo Flutter and slight delay-After New Stock Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I dont have a vagcom. Maybe its time I purchase one. Do you suspect that the new MAF is defective?

I originally purchased one at O reillys. I thought something was wrong with it so I then purchased a $200 one from Audi dealer.

i wonder though about the cable that runs from the MAF to the ECU. I dont know if it makes a difference...but when I changed the MAF, I noticed that the connector doesnt "click" into place. It goes on but it seems to lack some kind of securing " click". The connector doesnt move or come off so maybe that doesnt matter.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

It ( the MAF) is just something that Could cause your problems and it would be nice to know it's output. I saw that the dealer technician mentioned that the cable might be defective. Mine does not click or latch either on the blue car. It still functions fine though. Again, no way to know without scanning or running a log.
Whether you should buy VAG com depends on you. Mine has been used on 5 Audi's. It pays for itself over and over. Even if you take the car to a dealer for service, it is very helpful to go in with a scan in hand and to be able to discuss faults displayed and possible causes. You become an entirely different customer to them.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

A new thought--- One of the guys over on QuattroWorld just had an issue of poor idle and odd behavior of his car. Turned out to be an intake leak between the MAF and the turbo. This was allowing unmetered air intake and that threw the fuel air mixture off. A lean fuel air mixture CAN put your car in limp mode. ( very little boost)
Something worth checking. ( thougth the dealer tech should have found it if it is there.)
Old 09-16-2017, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I purchased a cheapy cable and downloaded VCDS lite. I'm not quite sure how to use it completely yet. But here is whats there so far

16486/P0102 Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70): Signal too Low
Possible Causes
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70) faulty
Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70) faulty

18010/P1602/005634 - Power Supply B+ Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
Possible Causes
Cables on the Battery were removed
Battery weak (voltage)
Generator Malfunction
True!! I disconnected the negative to see if I could reset the ECU

17522/P1114 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; B1 S2: Internal Resistance too High
Possible Symptoms
MIL On
Possible Causes
Faulty O2 Sensor
Wiring Harness Issue for O2 Sensor

So the car has two new O2 sensors and a new MAF. Is this saying that the cables/wire harness maybe bad?

Carol
Old 09-16-2017, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes. Or the new MAF is bad.

Unplug the MAF connector and inspect each pin and socket.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was thinking that maybe those codes are old? So I cleared them. Now waiting to see if new codes come up. The cheapy cable I bought doesn't give me the full access to all the test from VCDS so I"ll probably still need to purchase the full set up from Ross Tech.

I visually inspected the connector. There is this red plastic in there and I notice the red plastic is starting to crumble away but I can't phantom what the red plastic does and if it would do anything to the contacts. I can probably check each pin with a volt meter or something but I wouldn't know what to test it for. I can see a part number for the connector (1J0 971 921G) but not for the harness/cable itself. I would change it out, but I have no clue where the other end goes (non MAF side). I can't see where it is routed to and if the other end has a connector as well or its just wires?

Carol

**Darn I just looked up 1J0971921G and that is just for the protective cap on the connector.

Last edited by carolhern; 09-16-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had a thought from your reply J. Patterson. I'm getting ready to check it out. I did see looking at some audi parts diagrams that there is an o-ring between the MAF and the hose going towards the turbo. I don't remember seeing an oring when I changed the MAF. I"m wondering if I have some air coming in from their? I doubt it, but i'm pulling strings now.

If that isn't the fix, i'm heading over to the pick n pull and see if I can find that MAF connector on the engine bay harness side. Looks like that MAF is used on vw golf and jetta I might be able to pick it off of.

Carol
Old 09-17-2017, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, th O-ring was there..whewww. So its definately not that.

I went to the pick n pull junk yard today, picked up two MAF sensor, however I'm not sure if they are compatible. So my car has 06A906461DX and one of the two I picked up is 06A906461D. The other is 06A906461G and this one I think might not be compatible. This one though had a slightly different connector housing that seemed better than the red plastic one..it is black and blue.

I got a couple of the connectors, but they all seem to have the red part kind of brittle and cracking. Again, i'm not sure if that red protective plastic would cause some issue with the connector.

Going to put in the 06A906461D MAF and see if there is any codes that come up.

Carol
Old 09-17-2017, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Found it! so the 06A906461DX is refurbed and the 06A906461D is not. So i should be good putting in the 06A906461D.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

So changing the MAF didn't change anything.

I also found a hole in the hose that is kind of like an elbow that goes into the valve cover. So I changed it with another hose.

The car however still won't boost. I can hear it spooling and feels like it's going to do its thing but in the end it just revs up and never boosts.

What about this PCV valve that I keep looking at when I"m messing with the car but I have never changed it. How do I know if that is possibly bad? Here is the part i'm talking about https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...cv/034129101b/

I didn't change the MAF connector yet, because I didn't get any more codes, so I don't want to splice things or pull pins etc until I get the code again for the MAF.

carol

Quick Reply: Turbo Flutter and slight delay-After New Stock Turbo