TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Turbo Problems - It's going downhill fast!!

Old 10-08-1999, 07:04 AM
Tom Blaney

Default Turbo Problems - It's going downhill fast!!

I posted a note before regarding a flutter noise in my TT with 10K miles (also the mess they made of the wheels), at this point, I am worse off than before.

The dealer pulled the turbo and replaced it with a new one which they claimed would solve the flutter noise. They didn't see anything wrong with the old one, but when I examined it, the main shaft had 1/16" of free play side to side on the shaft, and you could see minor scratches in the edge of the impeller indicating it was just touching the housing. This much play will distroy a turbo in a short period. The car has 10K miles on it, and I am carefull to let the turbo cooldown, so I don't know what caused this.

However after the dealer claimed that they couldn't hear the noise and I drove home, I could make the flutter sound again within 20 miles from the dealer. Only now it seems to be easier to duplicate, and when I upshift in a semi-normal mode I can hear the sound. To me it still seems to sound like a heat shield type noise, so I will keep you posted.

The dealer opted to have the wheels repainted instead of replaced, and the bozo that thought he was a high-tech painter, didn't paint the entire inside of the rim, and tried to run a tape line from the inside seam. Obviously when you look carefully, it can be seen. Duh! I requested the wheels be replaced now, we will see.

Tom Blaney
Old 10-08-1999, 07:10 AM
T2

Default Do you know if they replaced the bypass valve in addition to the turbo?

thanks
Old 10-08-1999, 07:21 AM
Ray

Default Re: Turbo Problems - It's going downhill fast!!

It's a good thing they replaced the turbo. The last thing you want are the blades breaking off and getting sucked into the engine.

That kind of failure in such a short period is most likely due poor balancing when the turbo was made. The other possibility is a clogged oil line to the turbo.
Old 10-08-1999, 07:37 AM
Bruce R.

Default 1/16" of radial movement is serious....

To me that would indicate a worn out bearing / bearings. The fact that you had "scuff" marks on the tips of the impeller backs me up I think. Axial movement of that magnitude is still an awful lot, but may not be as critical.
Oil flow should be checked, bearings should not fail after only 10,000 miles
Old 10-08-1999, 07:54 AM
Tom Blaney

The bypass valve was part of the package ;-] (nt)
Old 10-08-1999, 08:01 AM
T2

Default :-( then I'm at a loss as to what is causing it.

Old 10-08-1999, 08:41 AM
Ty

I have had my TT Quattro for a little over a week and am concerned about a "fluttering" sound I hear most notably when I drop it into neutral from second as i pull into my office parking garage. I also hear a bit of flutter as I start to accelerate in first. Now I have only a fraction of the mileage you have on your's (about 250 miles) so I am not sure if it would be the same problem. As I am new to the car, and therefore the TT Forum, I missed your earlier email describing what this sounded like exactly. Could you tell me when you were hearing the flutter and if you think I may have a similar problem. This is my first turbo by the way (that is probably obvious).
Old 10-08-1999, 08:58 AM
john S

Gave warning 1999-09-22 12:27:46 (nt)
Old 10-08-1999, 11:06 AM
M Lauterbach

I have a TTQ with 600 miles on it. I have the same sound you describe. It happens only after the car is warm and only 1st gear, starting from a dead stop and shifting to 2nd. brought it to my dealer twice! The keep saying it is the heat shield but have been unsuccessful making it go away. I even asked them to check the wastegate and they said everything is fine. Let me know if you solve the problem.
Old 10-08-1999, 11:24 AM
Ty

Default "Rev, Rattle & Roll"

ML-

I went back and read some postings from previous days and I think we all have the same problem. It sounds like this is what people (Marshall, Uwe TT and others) have called a heatshield issue. I am certainly not a mechanic in any way shape or form, a probably could not pick out a heatshield from a pile of parts. But after reading ten posts describing the same phenomenon in the same conditions I think we may have an overall issue here. My rattle occurs under the exact same circumstances as yours. I hear it when I pull up to the gate of my office garage after a 13 mile freeway commute. The engine is obviously warm and I hear the rattle when I roll down my window to swipe my secuity key card (decelerating from second gear to neutral). I then hear it again when i accelerate from first to second gear and throughout the garage (low speed the entire time). If I rev the engine and here the turbo "whine" kick-in it goes away...but comes back when the RPM's drop. WHat does everyone think?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo Problems - It's going downhill fast!!