TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Turbo Timer ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-1999, 01:01 PM
paris

Default Turbo Timer ?

has any one added a turbo timer to thier TT ?
my speed junkie friends at work all claim i
need to get one ASAP

ken
180TTQ
Old 12-09-1999, 01:08 PM
Jenner

Default Not sure if the TT needs one, because it has an intercooler and fan that can stay on after shutoff.

I don't know that much about it, but this is what I've picked up from reading this forum. Can someone else speak the truth on the intercooler and need for a turbo timer with the TT?

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett
Old 12-09-1999, 01:28 PM
y2ktturbo

Default No turbo timer required...

You'd have to go back deep in the Forum archives to find it, but there was a lengthy discussion about this around September.

I clearly recall that the TT takes care of this. After a hard drive you can hear a fan whir at the front of the car. This is either the turbo itself spinning to dissipate heat or a fan blowing on it to cool it down.

It is true overheating a turbo affects it's longevity.

Old 12-09-1999, 01:38 PM
jj

For $100.00 it is great insurance especially chipped(nt)
Old 12-09-1999, 03:38 PM
jso

I can't hear any fan noise after shutoff, do you? (nt)
Old 12-09-1999, 04:05 PM
julie

Default Re: No turbo timer required...

can this fan, etc be fitted to an A4 1.8t? Does this actually work
well enough to protect the turbo?
Old 12-09-1999, 04:13 PM
Jenner

I do if I turn the car off without letting it idle cool down after a long or "spirited" drive. (nt)
Old 12-09-1999, 04:34 PM
Dr. Lane

Default Re: A must have! (long)

I have always installed an HKS Turbo Timer in all of the turbo'd cars that I have owned.
If you plan on using the boost of the turbo, then a "warming down" time is needed to dissipate the heat from the turbine bearings. The only way this is done is by the turbine spinning while oil flows past the bearings. If the engine is off, oil doesn't circulate and the bearings can become coked. Therefore by allowing the engine to idle for a preset time, you can turn the ignition off, lock the car and walk away. Not doing so, with or without a timer, is the major reason for turbo failure 60-70k miles dow the road.

Intercoolers on the otherhand, are just what they sound like. Coolers that cool the air going to the turbo thus increasing the density. When the density is increased, the air-fuel mixture is more combustible, thereby increasing displacement and horsepower. All of this is simple physics that we all ignored in high school.

Just my .02$ though!

Old 12-09-1999, 04:57 PM
Andy Hedin

Are you sure it's not just the electric radiator fan? [nt]
Old 12-09-1999, 05:00 PM
Andy Hedin

Default On the A4, they are really tough to integrate...

...with the factory alarm system so I'd be willing to bet that it would be the same case with the TT. Basically, the alarm system prevents you from locking the car while the engine is running. This kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a turbo timer...might as well just sit there for a minute.

All hope is not lost, however. One guy posted on the A4 Forum that he found a stereo installation shop who agreed to install it for him. The guy reported that it works like a charm...only problem is that he doesn't really know how the installer managed to get it to integrate.

Andy Hedin
'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Garrett, Borla, Abt, E-Codes

Quick Reply: Turbo Timer ?