TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Turbo timer installation / Defi HUD (Tech ??'s)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo timer installation / Defi HUD (Tech ??'s)

Well I got the Defi HUD from the group buy that you may be able to find from a while back. Great deal at $190 delivered. I bench tested it to discover how it would connect in to provide the timer function since all the instructions are in Japanese. It turns out the Defi site has some english translations, but they assume you have a Japanese car with a standard connector for the timer. Anyway, it's not hard to figure out.

The basic assumption is that on Audi cars you can tie the 30 power to the 15 power to keep the engine running after taking the key out. The question is does that actually work? (My next step is to jumper this on the car to determine so). The alarm system seems to be an issue on A4's but the wiring on a TT is different. Anybody do a turbo timer on a TT yet and figure out how to keep alarm functions in place? Maybe it's not even a problem?

BTW, the system is pretty flexible with a lot of control over the timer function and some control for warning lights on the boost side. Boost is reported in kg/(cm squared) but that's close enough to bar.

--bob
Old 02-27-2003, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Interesting....I wonder if the alarm would try to arm if the column was locked, but the engine was

running...could confuse the hell out of it and just cause it to throw codes in the ECU. If you ever get this figured out, let us know. I may be wanting to add a timer if I ever do a turbo upgrade.

How does the HUD look? Do you think it's bright enough to be seen in daylight?
Old 02-27-2003, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Lots of things to test out...

Another is if the doors will unlock when the key is removed (I recoded the module). Lot's of testing to perform.

I tested the HUD on a minivan windshield since that was easier. There is a double reflection but Defi provides a "reflective surface" to put on the windshield. I know that windshields come in HUD and non-HUD since I asked the chip repair guy that question. I'll let you know how the TT windshield reflects the display.

I would say it's bright enough. There are only two intensity settings. Full-on and dim. Dim is engaged when 12v is supplied to one of the lines into the control box.