TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Turn signal relay access?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal relay access?

Hi. Both turn signals on my 2006 TT abruptly stopped blinking, but hazard warnings flash correctly. Reading previous posts online suggest that the turn relay is probably at fault, and is built into the hazard switch. So far, so good?

So, how do I get the hazard switch out without butchering the dashboard? I can see a bit of the mounting by looking up from below while partially retracting the radio cover, but don't want to try any force without knowing if it's simply a press-fit or if there's some sort of latch or other route to remove it?

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Signal Switch

Similar problem here. Blinks once then no more blink. Hazard works fine. Mechanic told me its signal switch problem which involves removing air bag, steering wheel...swap out signal switch assembly. Sounded like lot of work. Anyone had similar experience?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Uhhh, no. Not quite the same. I don't get any blinks at all - the turn arrow on the dash just silently comes on and stays on as long as the turn-indicator stalk is set. I don't think the actual switch is at fault, at least in my case.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had what you describe happen to my 02 TT last year. My turn signals wouldn't work and if they did I got a solid indicator light in the IP but nothing happening outside.

I had the hazard light relay/switch replaced and it fixed my issue. I might be calling out the wrong part. In short they pulled my hazard light button which is also a relay, or so I'm told.

The radio needs to be pulled out to get to this.

Good luck.

P
Old 08-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You have to remove the radio

To remove the radio you need radio removal tools.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have diagram how to remove air bag and steering wheel...I will post when I have time.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't go removing airbags and steering wheels if the problem is blinkers. Just pull the radio and replace the hazzard light relay assembly. $40 in parts and you are done.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default DIY indicator relay repair

I have an Audi A3 (8L) 2003 however the indicator relay being located on the same circuit board as the hazard relay seems to be common across many different Audi models. My indicators stopped flashing and would only give constant light when activating using the indicator stork. The hazard switch still worked fine. The hazard switch must be removed from the dash to fix the problem with the indicators. A couple of observations from my own experience which may help others: the radio can be removed to gain access to flasher unit by using two (or four in some models) nail files inserted into the slots at the bottom, pushing outwards towards the doors and then pulling gently on the radio using a finger inside the tape slot.

Secondly, here is a uTube video which details how to disassemble a flasher unit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN-tNDB7DpE. Note the internals of my own flasher unit were different to the one in this video even though externally the unit was identical. Rather than visible copper coils there were two sealed black plastic cubes (Omron brand). What got my relay working again was to simply sand clean the pins on the end of the unit that are exposed during the dis-assembly. There are about 8 or 10 flat pins that connect to the wiring harness - even though they seem fine, once you scratch them with a screwdriver you'll soon expose shiny new metal.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Awesome info and video. Thanks much!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default turn signals flash with a double speed

my turn signals flash with a double speed. I decreased rate by shunting (solidering) resistor standing close to relee (on the opposite side of the capacitor)

Quick Reply: Turn signal relay access?