TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Understeer, oversteer, AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understeer, oversteer, AWD?

Okay... as I understand it, you get oversteer from FWD because the drive wheels want to swing out in their direction of movement, and understeer in RWD for the same reason; i.e., FWD swings nose-first to the outside of a turn, RWD swings butt-first to the outside. In a true, 50/50 AWD like a TT Quattro, what are the actual steering dynamics? Thanks for the lesson in advance!
Old 04-30-2003, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default no help here on the technical issue of steering dynamics....?

but the TT Quattro isn't a true 50/50 AWD. I seem to recall the split being in the 35/65 neighborhood, and only then once 1 degree wheel slippage is detected....prior to that, basically FWD. (Someone will correct me on this, I'm sure.)
Old 04-30-2003, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Disregard, I'm wrong here. I confused power distribution w/wieght distribution )
Old 04-30-2003, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The quattro exhibits mild understeer.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Understeer, oversteer, AWD? BTW...

FWD cars usually understeer, as do RWD cars. Manufacturers set them up like that to be "safe".

It's easier to provoke oversteer with a RWD car, particularly if the engine is at the rear like a Porsche, VW Beetle or Alpine Renault.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:40 AM

Default Your cars front wheel drive

Considering your all wheel drive is front wheel drive until it slips I reckon you should treat your car as afront wheel drive at all times. Essentially this is what it is.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:41 AM

Default Re: This site may answer alot of your questions

<ul><li><a href="http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handling/handling.lasso">www.turnfast.com/tech_handling/handling.lasso</a></li></ul>
Old 04-30-2003, 09:42 AM

Its supposed to as part of the 2000 recall on suspension
Old 04-30-2003, 09:42 AM

Default ???

I am definately not an expert but I have some time to respond so I will. I think you might be backwards, FWD cars tend to understeer, RWD cars oversteer.

The TT is predominantly FWD until mr haldex takes over, so you get the understeer problem. this is compounded by a crappy rear sway bar (should be stiffer like the 99-00 model MK1 package).

i think the second part of your post contradicts the first a bit. understeer forces is when the car doesnt turn enough and oversteer is when it turns too much. the manucfacturers tend too try and err on the safe side with understeer instead of oversteer.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Actually, FWD's understeer usually..

FWD cars will usually understeer, especially when you step on the gas (acceleration causes the front wheels to lose grip, due to effective weight transfer to the rear). The TT's are no exception to this rule as under full throttle they want to understeer (=front drifts towards outside of the curve) a bit.

RWD cars will usually oversteer under full throttle (power slide, rear wheels actually push the back end out (towards the outside of the curve, this requires more and faster driver responses to keep the car under control)

The older 2000 TT's (Mk1 suspension), actually have something that's called lift off oversteer. Due to the aerodynamic shape of the car under high speeds, when you get off the gas (i.e. effective weight transfer to the front) the rears loose a bit of grip (due to weight transfer as well as aerodynamics) and the car jumps into oversteer, I've had this happen once myself and you have to respond *very* quick to not have something bad happen..

Quick Reply: Understeer, oversteer, AWD?