TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Unstable at any speed? I don't think so MORE

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-1999, 12:30 PM
Jim Torongo

Default Unstable at any speed? I don't think so MORE

I think some of us have been aware for months that some TTs were unstable at high speeds, that is over 130mph. The 225Q's were having the problem per my understanding where as the 180s (FWD or RWD) were not generating enough speed to have the rear end lift problems we have heard about. I think we need to wait and see before we overreact. The 'trans problem' while real appears to have effected only a limited number of cars or we would still be hearing from people reporting the problem. This isn't happening so it does seem that a batch of bad parts was the issue (as Audi said). The point is let's not assume its a big deal until we know . Further I have driven my TT quite hard during the course of 8000 miles and have had no handling problems. I did get sideways in a turn, but hell I was doing 80mph and the car came back on line with a minor correction. I have spun a 911 (and you know how fast the rear can come around on of them) and a vette in similar situations so I see no issue with the TT in that sense. I have had the car over 125mph (indicated) and again no problem. We know there is rear wing on the TT for styling reasons and that would certainly help the lift issue. All the TT tests I've read ( all I'm aware of) never once mention a handling problem of any significance and they were driving the cars very hard. From all we know, I say the problem is with high speeds so unless you drive over 130, and you can't unless you chipped you car and defeted the MPH limiter, I don't think you need worry. As always I could be wrong, but let's not worry about this too much. JIM
Old 10-06-1999, 12:44 PM
Charlie (UK)

Default Re: Unstable at any speed? I don't think so MORE

Do all 225's have limiters on ?
Old 10-06-1999, 01:03 PM
mne

Default Pre-chipped my speed limiter was inactive or never worked cuz I hit 142mph. (nt)

x
Old 10-06-1999, 01:17 PM
Jim T

Default I don't know MORE (2nd post-1st lost)

All 180 US cars (don't know about 225s)are electroniclly limited to 130 mph which is not the case with German cars that are expected to reach autobahn speeds by their owners (a German friend told me not to take my TT over 130 not knowing we have limiters). As to the UK cars I don't know, but I would not push it past 120 until I was sure what gives with all this. JIM
Old 10-06-1999, 01:30 PM
JJB-IL

Default Are you Chipped now? (more)

I might be getting a Wett chip for my TTQ on Friday. I will drive to their shop and have them do it right there.

Is your car a FWD or a Q. I guess I will have to get small spoiler for the back although I don't believe I will be driving at those speeds in the US.

Let me know what your impressions are of the Chip

Thanks,

Juan
Old 10-06-1999, 01:36 PM
STTeve R

Default And pray, tell, how did you clock your speed? (nt)

nt
Old 10-06-1999, 02:20 PM
mne

Default I didnt... Wyoming Highway Patrol did it for me... Valentine 1 went off, speedo read 142.. (more)

ticket said 140... fine was $2,020. Thats good enuf for me. Or more aptly the woman I was traveling to Canada with that GOT the ticket.
Old 10-06-1999, 04:25 PM
STTeve R

Default Ouch! Pricey way of dependency on radar unit to help you out...not @ that speed! (nt)

nt
Old 10-06-1999, 06:00 PM
mne

Default No defense for "instant-on" at any speed... sucks if you're the ONLY 1 on the highway for 15 mi. (nt

x
Old 10-07-1999, 04:12 AM
badboy

Default Had Indicated 145 mph on UK Spec 225Q with more to come - Rock Solid (more)

I am not posting my name as this was highly illegal. For the virtuous and self-righteous out there, yes I know the implications.

For the interested I was on a stretch of dual carrigeway, it was late, there were no other cars, it was dry, and there were no intersections, bridges, laybys etc. The bose stereo, was audiable, and the car felt great, solid and planted. If not as bolted to the road as my previous S4, it still inspired confidence through the sweeps. No problem. I have also driven a 180Q on a track and in spite of spinning (you have to try you know) that felt stable too.

All european Audis are made under the 155mph limted speed agreement, as are MBs and BMWs. This is not an issue for the 225Q as it factory maximum unrestricted is 'only' 151mph. On a separate note, is this the fasteset 1.8 litre production car in the world today?

Maybe the fwd cars are not as stable, maybe our US friends are not as confident and perceptive drivers as the Europeans (joke). Given the fondness for product litigation over there, maybe blame-culture for accidents yet to happen is evolving.

I say just enjoy your cars. They are designed and built to perform their maximum. Just don't hurt anyone or yourselves!

Maybe this will liven up what has become a repetitive forum seemingly with decreasing new content. Maybe this will be my last contribution.

What say you?

Quick Reply: Unstable at any speed? I don't think so MORE