TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Used TT Purchase Pitfalls

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used TT Purchase Pitfalls

Hi Guys,

We are looking to purchase a used TT Coupe, and would like some feedback as what to look for.

We have a 1998 A6 Quattro, so are looking only at TT Quattros. We know the advantage to purchasing a Certified or 3 year old car, that allows some remaining warranty time.

But we don't know the histroy of recalls for TT's, don't know if there are any usual suspects for the drivetrain, leaks, etc.

Our local dealer tells us he will give us the written service history, but only after we purchase.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-01-2006, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I DO know they were recalled (in the UK) initially because they

never had a spoiler on the back, and were spinning out on Highways (although it wasn't made official that you HAD to bring your car in). There was also a recall for the ESP button, as I don't think they were there as standard at first, and are needed again for stability reasons.

Another check that I know off is the gauge cluster. When you put the key in the ignition and turn it once, make sure all the dials and gauges are working as these are another part of the TT which SHOULD be recalled on, but Audi don't see it as a MAJOR problem. Check the fuel gauge at the start of your test drive and end, to make sure this is operating as well (this is also an indication of gauge cluster failure).

Not being a TT owner YET, this is as much info as I can give you (from reading previous threads).
Old 03-01-2006, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Will they let you see the service history? Sounds like BS if they won't. Kind of a mystery box.

Now that you've bought the car, oh you got a neglected service car, sorry and please play again...
Old 03-01-2006, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All 225s should be fine. The early 180s FrontTrak and Quattros had a voluntary recall...>>

for suspension change and spolier. But cars entering the US after March or April 2000 had the recall + ESP added at port.

Some things to look for are abad diverter valve and/or Mass Airflow meter. The early 225s had a problem with torn diaphragms. Audi updated this part mid 2001.

2002 and up should be fine.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That does sound a bit strange. Did you ask them why they won't >

supply the service history until purchase ?
Old 03-01-2006, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If you buy a CPO car...>

YOu'll be pretty safe. There have been no recalls since the very early days when the suspension was changed and the spoiler added.
Common failure issues would be clusters, MAF's, Fuel senders, but all should be covered on a CPO car....

Holding you hostage on the service history is BS by the way. If they want to sell you a car they should show it to you before you commit (unless they're trying to hide something)..

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2006, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Used Car is at a Toyota Dealer, not Audi Dealer

Even though my A6 is serviced at Braman, they won't give me a written copy of the TT's service records, since a Toyota dealer has the TT for sale.

I can always go down to Braman to look at it, and more than likely get a written copy with a personal visit, they won't fax it to me.

With 68,000 miles on a 2001, and not Certified (since it is at a Toyota dealer), I do have reservations about getting this used TT, when lower milage ones are available elsewhere.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Aaaaaah....now I understand. If you DO have reservations though >

I think it's time to follow your gut feelings. On the other hand, you could always take a trip to Braman's and take the car for a test drive (with no intentions of buying) At least this'll give you a better idea of what you need to look for.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ooops....Not certified and due for a timing belt change..

Keep looking..
Old 03-01-2006, 07:51 AM

Default If the dealer won't show you the service history - Walk Away!!! They need your business...

not the other way around and there are plenty of TT's out there. If they won't show the history to you then IMO their hiding something. I looked at 7 TT's before buying mine and all of them showed me the service history save one. When I got the carfax for that one it had been in an accident. Where are you located? someone might be able to recommend another dealership...

Quick Reply: Used TT Purchase Pitfalls