TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Waiting to switch to synthetic nonsense

Old 08-18-1999, 06:39 AM
Jack Rich

Default Waiting to switch to synthetic nonsense

I thought that most of what I've seen on this forum regarding waiting to switch to synthetic seemed like nonsense, but did not reply because for some people it is a matter like religion. (My question: How is it possible that too little friction will prevent your rings and other engine parts from seating properly? Too little friction is an oxymoron in an engine.) Anyway, the following was posted to the quattro list. It is a response from Audi of America regarding a query concerning special break-in oil and the use of synthetic. The original query is below. I've snipped out the person's name and email address because I didn't ask his permission to post here.<br>----------------------------------------------------------------<br>Thank you for contacting Audi of America.<p>I have spoken to a service technician regarding your question about oil<br>changes. Changing the oil prior to 7500 miles is not a problem. This will<br>not adversely affect the vehicle. Additionally, any name brand of good<br>quality oil is fine to use. Using synthetic oil adds an extra level of<br>protection for your engine's working parts, and therefore a good thing to<br>do. There is no 'waiting time' for switching over to synthetic oil and<br>remember, always be sure that you use our Audi recommended oil filter.<p>If we can help in any other way, please write again.<p>Sincerely,<p>Vincent <br>AudiTalk<p><br>Every other oil change 7500 15000 45000 <p> ----------<br> Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 1999 2:59 PM<br> To: auditalk@audi.com;<br> Subject: Oil Change<p> ****************************************<br> Date: Tue Aug 17 14:59:27 EDT 1999<br> subject: Request for Information<br> comments: I am having difficulty with my local dealer regarding the<br>first engine <br> break-in period. One service representative tells me that I should <br> NOT change the oil or filter during the first 7500 miles. Another <br> service representative at the same dealer tells me it's ok if I<br>change <br> the oil and filter at 3750 miles. I am very unhappy with the fact<br>that <br> I get different answers from the same dealership(Leith). I would<br>like <br> to know the OFFICIAL Audi recommendation on whether it will <br> adversely affect my A6 engine break-in if I change oil/filter before<p> 7500, and if the recommendation is to NOT change before 7500, <br> I'd like to know why such a long interval is recommended, <br> especially considering the fact that there is conventional oil in<br>the <br> car.<p> In the event that it IS ok to change prior to 7500, please <br> recommend an oil brand that I should use, or better yet, tell me <br> what is the OEM 'break-in' oil that Audi uses. <br> <br> I would also like to know the EARLIEST mileage that Audi <br> recommends as a change-over point from conventional oil to <br> synthetic oil.<br>
Old 08-18-1999, 07:37 AM
Bruce R.

Default It's not all synthetic nonsense

Jack, The machining of the various engine parts was not always as good as it is now. The idea behind waiting for an engine to "break-in" was Mobils.....they recommended at least 6000 miles for the assembled parts to smooth out and tighten up the clearances (between rings and cylinders for instance). The lube qualities of the synthetic oils was/is so good that this break-in period would be VERY lengthly. You would end up burning oil, fouling plugs, etc.<br>Now that they can build an engine that has reasonable tolerances the break-in is short enough to be done at the factory on a test stand. Some builders are shipping with synthetic right from the plant(Corvettes, and Mercedes Benz[AMG]).<br>This has been as brief as I could make it, I hope it helps.
Old 08-18-1999, 09:19 AM
Jack

Default Thanks, that does make sense. (nt)

x