TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Weekend TTQ update

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-1999, 09:10 AM
Joe

Default Weekend TTQ update

Hey guys,

I just figured I'd post a quick update on the weekend. I also had a few questions again, which maybe some of you can answer... I will say that the TT is an awesomely stylish car in which to go to a wedding.

In total, I did about 350 miles worth of driving. The car is now over 2000 miles. On the way out to RI and the first tank of gas (which included some driving around on the backroads), it averaged 24.1mpg. I think the average speed was 44mph. Traffic was somewhat dense on the way out, so I was doing about 40-55 in fifth gear for the first hour or so. I also was very VERY gentle on the car. I would have expected closer to the EPA highway rating, from the way I was babying this car.

My cruise control doesn't doesn't work. I tried it for the first time Friday, only to discover it totally dead. So my next question: could a vacuum leak account for the less-than-expected fuel economy, lack of cruise control, surging/bogging turbo, and sluggish acceleration? (I suppose a fault with the drive by wire system could also do this?)

One thing I can say is that the car IS sluggish. Compared to what I'm used to, it is an absolute dog. Twice now, I have actually had to *abort a pass* on a two lane road because it just doesn't have the ***** to quickly pull around another car on uphill grades. I've never had to do that before. I feel like I'm driving a Kia.

Saturday morning we were running late for the wedding ceremony, so I was attempting to make up for lost time. Let's just say that for a few miles on I-95, we were attempting to cruise above 85mph. On any type of uphill grade I had the accelerator pasted to the floor just to hold our speed. With two people aboard, this thing has almost zero sprinting power.

Also, for a car this heavy (and it is at least 200lbs heavier than the car I'm used to) it has horrible directional stablility. I have no issues with the handling. In fact, I am willing to bet that the cornering/breakaway characteristics are NOT responsible for the TT's controversy. I think the car is just overly sensitive to the slightest cross winds. (Although it still wanders a bit at 30mph, on a calm day).

Dealer appointment is for a week from tomorrow. By then, I should have quite a list compiled... If in fact my engine is healthy, I need to reexamine my plan with this car.
Old 12-13-1999, 09:19 AM
Jenner

Default This is NOT normal Joe. Just wait till you drive my TTQ, your'll see your TTQ is sick or something.

Its interesting that you note the cruise control doesn't work....Make sure you look into that, it could be related to your other problems. Listen to the engine sometime with the hood up. You will hear the 20V "tick" but other than that, do you hear anything funny? I know its hard because you don't have anything to compare it too. We'll look into this on Wednesday.

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett
Old 12-13-1999, 09:22 AM
Jim Torongo

Joe I guarantee you there is something wrong with eithter your motor or engine management system
Old 12-13-1999, 10:16 AM
Koo

Default Joe, there's definitely something wrong--(more)

One of the things that impressed me when I first got my TT was that I was able to pass anyone, at anytime, with a reserve of power without even downshifting! I think you definitely have a problem that needs attention. Let us know what happens at your service visit. Koo
Old 12-13-1999, 10:35 AM
Janet

Default I agree with Koo regarding passing.....(more)

Joe,

I have almost 1400 miles on my 180Q as of now. I continue to be amazed at how easily I can get enough power to pass even when I'm in 5th gear! It's quite impressive, given the "small" engine in the TT. There MUST be something wrong with yours...unfortunately. Hope it's an easy fix.

Janet
'00 180Q
Old 12-13-1999, 04:46 PM
Roger

"I feel like I'm driving a Kia". NOT words other TTQ owners would use. TO THE DEALER! (nt)
Old 12-13-1999, 07:23 PM
Troy

Compared to what I'm used to ??? What are you comparing to? (nt)
Old 12-13-1999, 11:14 PM
FT

The TT is about what you say even when well.Stability does suck, so does the power.
Old 12-14-1999, 01:11 AM
get lost

How do you know, FT, when you're too young to drive one?
Old 12-14-1999, 08:18 AM
Joe

Default Re: Compared to what I'm used to ??? What are you comparing to? (nt)

Its an Oldsmobile Achieva SCX. Most people give me a strange look until they've been for a ride in it. It was an obscure limited production model, with a number of specific modifications.

The TT is NOT meant to replace the SCX, and I knew it would not be as fast or direct. Still, the difference is only about 30hp, and should not be THAT noticeable --- in this case it feels more like at least 50hp, which is one of the reasons I'm wondering about the health of my TT, and planning to have it checked out next week.

Quick Reply: Weekend TTQ update