TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Weight reduction attempt.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight reduction attempt.

Hello everyone,

I will try to reduce my tt 225 weight as much as possible while retaining some level of comfort, and will be documenting the process in here. The plan is to make my own fiberglass parts in order to spend as little money as possible, and to be able to mold the car to my liking.

I will leave you with the first picture from my teardown. Hope you guys/gals enjoy it! Dashboard and glovebox off!!!

Last edited by heavy49; 03-03-2019 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Unnecessary disclamer i was young and dumb.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heavy49
If you get easily offended when someone "destroys" an audi (or any car for that matter) please refrain from commenting because...

THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR YOU!
The following users liked this post:
guitariste47 (11-15-2021)
Old 09-25-2017, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Rear trim and seats removal.

Removal part 2
Rear seats out! (That tube is a cheap temporary subwoofer enclosure).

Rear trim and jack holder.
I plan to weigh everything I take off and post it once I'm done removing stuff.

Last edited by heavy49; 09-25-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Teardown part 3 + mpg increase

Hello,
Today I finished removing the trim left on my car and also ended up mounting my extra battery and subwoofer amp. Rear speaker cover

I had to remove the bolt that holds the seatbelt to the floor in order to release the trim.
Is an 18mm (I think).

The disc changer got replaced by secondary battery they weight about the same, so no harm done. Disc changer off and secundary battery new home. Subwoofer amp also got a new place.

That is all the stuff I plan to remove from the inside of the car, and so far the car feels more nimble and fast. Plus (according to the cluster) my mpg got from 19 to 24!!!

I'll weight the stuff that got taken off tomorrow (maybe) and post the info.

After that I will remove the counterweight, and
I plan to fabricate a fiberglass dashboard on the weekend.

Last edited by heavy49; 09-27-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Teardown part 4

I plan to install a rollcage, so I decided to go all out an remove the rest of the trim.

I still have some stuff left to remove but right know I'm trying to figure out why the windows stoped working :$

If anyone has an insight on the relay number for the windows please let me know.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Windows fixed and MPG update.

Hello, for anyone wondering about the windows it turned out to be the dreaded fuse 14. Apparently this particular fuse is tied to several circuits, so when I cut the wires from the visor lights it blew.

MPG UPDATE!
I have been able to drive the car more and the MPG on the city seems to hover between 21 and 23, so my first post was not accurate. MPG did improve though.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I officially have reached the point of no return.

Side sheets that hold part of the roof interior
Making space for the rollcage
Old 11-04-2017, 10:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Local scale numbers

I took my car to the scale and it came out at 3295lb (with me in the car). It does not look impressibe but, I weight 205lb and the car had my subwoofer, amp and extra battery in (about 50lb, I'll weigh them later). Therefore, 3295 - 255 = 3040lb! I am almost under 3000lb and I have not removed the counterweight, emission stuff, or anything from the exhaust! I think 2800lb or under is duable! I still have some stuff left to remove from inside the car and I plan to do a custom exhaust soon (hopefully). I'll keep posting my progress for everyone.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Tread resurrection

I still have the car, but moved to a new city about 3 mo after I started this. I did not the have time or money to continue, so for about one yr and a half i didn't do anything significant to the car. I landed a very good job about 3mo ago and I am planing to continue with this project. Right now I am looking to get a set of rpf1s 17x8 and after that ill provably look for lightweight seats and other parts. My goal is to get the tt as close to 2000lb as possible. Just to recap so far I tore the interior out of the car, installed coilovers, 3" downpipe, lighter muffler, evap delete, r8 ignition coils, big high flow filter with heat shield, apr stage 1 remap and removed the rear bumper(it helped to stable car at high speeds).
I think the car is sitting at 2900lb right now and understand that 2000lb is a long stretch, but i think is duable with some rather extreme measures. Wish me luck and I am open to suggestions. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting project. Can you post a pix of what the car looks like w/o the rear bumper? Removal of the bumper stabilized the car at high speeds? <Head scratch> Rounded bumper causes rear lift? How high did you push it?

Quick Reply: Weight reduction attempt.