TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Weight reduction attempt.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeKan
How high did you push it?

[+QUOTE=JoeKan;25287032] Removal of the bumper stabilized the car at high speeds? <Head scratch> [/QUOTE]

Hi JoeKan, and yes cutting the bumper stabilized the car at hihg speeds (or at least thet is my theory). Right after the weight removal and before cutting the bumper the car would wobble from the back when reaching 90+. This got fixed after I cut the bottom part of it.

This is what it looks like right now I acctually got a lighter 3 inch muffler to replace the heavy 2 pipe one.

Originally Posted by JoeKan
Rounded bumper causes rear lift?
Yes, i've done a lot of reading on the car's engine, suspension and aerodynamics actually the reason i staterd this thread is because i could not find much on weight reduction (at least not in my goal range). Anyways after a lot of reading i understood that the rear bumper creates a parachute effect and on top of that the roundness creates lift (or at least that is the conclusion I came to). On my reading I found out a few things worth the attention of anyone that wants to push this car. Right now Ill just mention the aerodynamic bits.

1: the car is less aerodynamic than a mk3 vw golf/gt1 😆.

2: The shape of the car itself creates lift. The roundness of our cars resembles an airplane wing which creates lift under speed (that is how the hunk of metal we call airplanes are able to fly).

3: There have been accidents that have taken lives due to the inestability this car has under speed (you can look it up)

Sooooooo...

There is quite some work to be done before you push this car to high speeds.
From the beginning I planed to push this car that is why i've spend a lot of time researching and if you plan to do the same i recommend you read. 🍻

Old 03-09-2019, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You've done your homework. Nice neat trim job. That explains why rear diffusers and tightly tucked in rear bodywork have become so popular over the last few years. The TT would certainly have benefitted from that technology.

No - I don't plan on pushing the car that high. In my neck of the woods, get caught 25mph (40kmh) over the speed limit, and your car gets impounded for a week (on the spot - you walk home), you get a hefty fine and 6 points on your licence (max 10 - over 10 and you loose your licence & get more hefty fines). Then if you renew, you're paying substantially more for insurance based on the number of points you've collected - you only loose 3 points per year.

I'm more into canyon running. We have a wonderful original 2 lane Trans-Canada HWY that runs through Fraser Canyon. About a 2-3 hour run - depending on what time of the day you go. Most of the traffic now takes a new, more direct highway, so at the right time of the day, the highway is mostly deserted. Just mind your speed through population and known speed trap areas.

As I acquired the TT from Japan a few months ago, I'll be sorting out the handling characteristics of the car this summer and will probably recalibrate/rebuild the suspension over next winter for the following summer. Until now, I've run the canyon in my former '72 Mercury Capri (the German one), Golf Mk.1, a few Golf Mk.2s and my current daily, Golf Mk.4 TDI.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Man! you have it bad with those laws in Canada, I tought cali was bad, (haha). Anyways, I love canyon riding too bro, so keep us posted on your build. Maybe ill learn something from it.

Last edited by heavy49; 03-11-2019 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Wrong title
Old 03-11-2019, 10:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Wider and lighter wheels.

found a set of wheels on offerup with tires pretty cheap and jumped on them. I am not a fan of the color but that can be fixed. They are 18x8.5 so I had to run a 15mm spacer at the front to clear the coilovers. Ill be replacing the clutch and upgrading to a single mass flywheel in about 3 wheeks. Ill keep on posting my progress.