TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

What 27k 350Z? Comparably outfitted Z costs 35k according to Nissan Config.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What 27k 350Z? Comparably outfitted Z costs 35k according to Nissan Config.

34,995 - thats right 35 grand?

1 Touring model base 33 grand. Base TT Coupe 225HP with AWD and 6 speed - 36. Thats only 3k difference.

So I have to ask the question - what am I giving up in the nissan for 3k and some extra HP. I give up AWD, ESP, Quality leather interior, Real aluminum trim, Style and design. Oh yes - and safety.

If you don't get my numbers - its probably because I added those minimal items into the Nissan that came with the TT from scratch. Things like floor mats, trunk carpet, side air bags, rear wing.

Side Air Bags & Head Curtains $569

Accessories
Floor Mats $69
Aluminum Kick Plates $79
Trunk Mat $59
Aerodynamics Package $499

Base MSRP $33,179.00
Total Packages, Options, & Accessories $1,275.00
Destination & Handling $540.00
Total Designed MSRP† $34,994.00
Old 09-15-2002, 06:55 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If I wanted a Z, I'd buy one...

However, I think Nissan did a great job with the car. Out of the box, it out-handles and out-performs the TT.

Obviously, there are areas where the TT holds an advantage. The TT is a rolling work of art and is a very luxurious car. But we shouldn't keep knocking the Z, as the criticism is mostly unwarranted and is being made by those who have not driven the Z.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default still looking for the latest issue of Car for their comparo

How do I put this so as to avoid the need for asbestos.... The tone of many of the posts regarding the Z has been quite interesting. I don't understand why people seem to need to justify why the TT is better than the Z. The TT is a TT and the Z is a Z. The Z offers incredible performance out of the box for a great price. The TT is more of a complete package.
I took a look at a Z locally(no test drives available) and it is a good looking car. The driver's seat was superb but other than that the interior was pretty cheap. But, I did not get that same sense of awe that I had the first time I saw a TT in person... the TT just has something about it.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default partly its...

because Nissan was targeting the TT as one of its competitors AND targeting the TT owners as one of their potential markets.

What Nissan went for was performance, layout and content for a pricepoint rather than leather interior and AWD etc.

There will be comparisons drawn, the TT does not have the performance of the Z (in any measurement) so that threatens people because (IMHO) they'd like to have HAD that performance without warranty voiding and expensive mods but WITH all the qualities they like in the TT.

Car enthusiasts are comparers and honestly, people who spend time on internet forums DO get wrapped up in their cars. I've been perplexed by the Z bashing myself because it's just ANOTHER car that everyone here can afford and could choose...what viable options where there 2 years ago?

Audi went one way with the TT and Nissan went another way with the Z, they're related but the TT is not the performance car the Z is and the Z is not the stylish and interior champ the TT is.

I also get worried when people continue the "quattro myth". AWD helps you in the snow going up hill, everywhere else any decent traction control system will "save" you where AWD will not (in itself) do anything to help you.

Driving an AWD car is an art that few could really master and the basic premise that RWD cars somehow are less "safe" is pure myth. Yeah, if you live with constant snow and rain there are some advantages of AWD (but mostly it's up to your tires and traction control to save you) but everywhere else, its added weight and FWD handling bais are not superior to a RWD car.

You all should be happy there's a Z. When there's a new Supra that will be good too and any other decent performance cars in this pricerange which don't have 1950's engine and chassis technology.

Viva la competition!
Old 09-15-2002, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agh, very nicely put..

Honestly... Awesome.. Now, "When there's a new Supra"... What do you know that some of us would love to know? No, I don't want a supra, but I would love to know what toyotas plans are.. The last supra was awesome.. I love the interior, and loved the exterior.. No, its not as nice as some cars, but damm the overall package kicked ****..
Old 09-15-2002, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think most of the criticism has been centered around the design aspect of the car

Criticism is truly warranted since some critics claim that this car will appeal to the same market that bought TT's or that they will at least be vying for potential buyers who would consider a TT, to narrow it down between the two.

I think they are wrong. Look at TT buyer <A HREF="http://www.auditt.org/faq/968869088">demographics.</A>

The TT market bought the car based on many features that other cars simply do not possess.
How the car drives and handles is a different aspect. In order to have a true assessment of what makes a great car, design must be a heavily weighted factor.

Z looks nice. But ask yourself this...Is the design timeless? Is it unique? Will you still want to drive one 10 years from now. Better yet 5?

Think about classic cars that bring about excitement years after having made their mark. What is it about them that incite such a high drool factor before ever driving them. Design. Simple as that.

A truly great car has a mix of both design and performance. Sure, the TT needs a little bit more power. The originality of the TT's design and the build quality more than compensates for that lacking characteristic.

There are many cars out there that perform very well and are capable of giving muscle cars a run for their money. S2000, RX-7, etc... but their design doesn't make them memorable.

With the TT, you have an instant classic. To read articles that compare the two is preposterous.

These two cars are not in the same league.

2cents
Old 09-15-2002, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default all accounts indicate that...

the new Supra will be a DIRECT Z competitor and that Toyota plans to possibly build a "supercar" that will NOT be the Supra.

It's VERY possible the Japanese have learned the lessons of their past failures...at the time when the 300ZX and ZX turbo, RX7 turbo, and Mitsu 3000VR4 were sold in the US, their total COMBINED sales were less than JUST the Corvettes sales...they were abysmal failures and the last year the RX7 was sold in the US, they moved less than 3000 cars!

Young men want performance cars, they don't generally have $60 or 70k to spend and they want to personalize...the Z and Supra will fall into this category and the WRX STi and EVO Vii will share the spotlight competing for a slightly different market while US manufacturers (who have figured all this out too) look to slot in there somewhere (Chrysler crossfire?).

Amazing time to be an enthusiast buyer. One has to consider that only 10 years ago, a car that "only" did 0-60 in 5.5 and the 1/4 in the low 14s would be considered a supercar. Now you can go get that at the SUBARU DEALER! A quirky 2 liter 4 door sedan that would leave a Testarossa up to about 100mph.

rejoyce because these cars all have their own personalities and that means fewer compromises for the buyer...ie the likelyhood of finding something CLOSER to what you want.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:33 PM

Default Re: What 27k 350Z? Comparably outfitted Z costs 35k according to Nissan Config.

I'm sorry, for 3k less, you get a 6 cylinder engine, about 60 more hp, very comfortable seat ( if you don't believe me head over to a nissan dealer and sit in one, you will be surprised, no bull**** ), 17' wheels, xenon headlights. all these come STANDARD, these are important options unlike floormats an the aerodynamic package. The option that would be really necessary are the airbags, and if you order those and the bunch of other options that you named ( that most people could live without) the car is still cheaper than the TT.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default =) awesome... Yes, things have gone in a great direction

Its almost like a whole new world.. I mean gees.. look at the RS6, the M5, and the E55.. thats just nuts.. Family sedans that are this fast.. Too cool... And they will all be faster..
Old 09-15-2002, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default airbags unnecessary? in our world of soccer moms driving escalades?

maybe if this were a track car.

but as a daily driver, gimme the side impacts in a smallish sportscar, please.

Quick Reply: What 27k 350Z? Comparably outfitted Z costs 35k according to Nissan Config.