TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

What is this thing? (+ foglight question)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this thing? (+ foglight question)

I am trying to give my Mk1 an updated look with some LED strips. I thought to myself that it would be easy to just wire them into the fog light wiring. I have the switch that controls fog lights, however I don't have any fog lights.

Looking behind the front bumper I saw this thing. I thought it might be a OEM connector for Audi fog lights so I cut it and checked the voltage. .2 when the car is off and 5 volts when the car is on. Too little to run the LED strips so I ran the part number that was printed on it and nothing came up.

I thought it could be the temp sensor for outside air but that still works fine with this thing removed. Any idea what it is?

Any idea where I can run a few wires through the firewall to the fuse panel?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hahaha thats ballsy just cutting stuff off... i like it...
Im sorry i have no idea what that is
Old 05-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's a flux capacitor.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's low voltage which makes me think it's a sensor. The way it's clipped just over the washer fluid line for the headlights makes me think it's not too important.

Drives fine.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

o ya it is ballsy, i know what that is lol, its your outside air temp sensor lol, im really laughing here, why would you just cut that off
Old 05-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Funny because it still reads correct. Based on it's location I didn't think it was too important. I cut it off to check the voltage thinking it might be some strange connector for stock fog lamps but the voltage was too low indication it was a sensor of some sort.

Wasn't as if the TT was going to die without it.

Any ideas for the new lights? I can't seem to find an area to connect to a 12 volt that works with the headlights in the engine bay.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

BTW python, I'm trying to do what you've done but not go too far into it. There is a gap between the headlight and bumper I can fit the thin LED strip into but I think I'm going to try to mount it where the fog lights would go.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:50 AM
AudiWorld Awesome User

Originally Posted by ejaudi
I am trying to give my Mk1 an updated look with some LED strips. I thought to myself that it would be easy to just wire them into the fog light wiring. I have the switch that controls fog lights, however I don't have any fog lights.

Looking behind the front bumper I saw this thing. I thought it might be a OEM connector for Audi fog lights so I cut it and checked the voltage. .2 when the car is off and 5 volts when the car is on. Too little to run the LED strips so I ran the part number that was printed on it and nothing came up.

I thought it could be the temp sensor for outside air but that still works fine with this thing removed. Any idea what it is?

Any idea where I can run a few wires through the firewall to the fuse panel?
Your Audi card is hereby revoked. Outside air temp plays a rther important role in density correcting your air-fuel ratio. Never importatn for a turbo (sheesh). Especially if you live in a temperate place where temperatures vary by more thana few degrees.

Good luck on the future performance off the engine.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm constructing a "found art" piece and have been collecting small parts that have been randomly clipped from otherwise perfectly operating automobiles. I'd like to include this in my artwork. Please send this to me and I will include this part in the installation.

Other parts I am looking for are:

1/2 Coilpack
Most of a TIP
Some random radiator hose
Water pump impeller
Timing belt with 12 stripped teeth

Thanks.

j/k
Old 05-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by InTTruder
Your Audi card is hereby revoked. Outside air temp plays a rther important role in density correcting your air-fuel ratio. Never importatn for a turbo (sheesh). Especially if you live in a temperate place where temperatures vary by more thana few degrees.

Good luck on the future performance off the engine.
Come and get it. Audi runs fine. Turbo works like it did before performance-wise. For how long? Who knows. I had planned on reconnecting the sensor sometime in the next few days anyway. Temp reads accurate even without the sensor be it morning, noon, or night. Besides, one would figure the air/fuel ratio would be controlled by the MAT sensor and not the outside temp gauge.

Last edited by ejaudi; 05-10-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: What is this thing? (+ foglight question)