TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Wind Deflector height?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Deflector height?

I just purchased a 2001 TT 225 convertible. The Wind Deflector goes up and down smoothly and perfectly level. The problem is, I can't tell if it is getting fully extended. When mine is fully up (won't raise any higher) the center (horizontal section) of the Wind Deflector is 3" above the top of the housing that holds/stores it. Does this sound correct? I can't find any documentation about the height of the Deflector when it's fully extended. Please, would other owners who drive this same make and model tell me how high their Deflectors rise above the housing. Thanks, Bill
Old 09-02-2017, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by billschieman
I just purchased a 2001 TT 225 convertible. The Wind Deflector goes up and down smoothly and perfectly level. The problem is, I can't tell if it is getting fully extended. When mine is fully up (won't raise any higher) the center (horizontal section) of the Wind Deflector is 3" above the top of the housing that holds/stores it. Does this sound correct? I can't find any documentation about the height of the Deflector when it's fully extended. Please, would other owners who drive this same make and model tell me how high their Deflectors rise above the housing. Thanks, Bill
It should go higher. I'm not near my car this weekend but I would estimate mine rises to about 6 ( maybe 7) inches of glass visible at center.
If no one else replies, I will measure it next week.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply. I posted this question on 2 different Audi forums and you are the first to reply. I would really appreciate it if you could measure the height of your Wind Deflector when you get the chance. Then, I'll have some hard data to go on. Thanks Again, Bill
Old 09-04-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Another way to check

I no longer have a Mk 1 but on both of mine, the semicircles behind the headrests came up to the bottom of the top of the rollbar - if that makes sense. That is, the rollbar is enclosed in an aluminum tube and the screen went about to the bottom of the inner loop of the tube. That said, I rarely used mine. It had little, if any, effect on wind unless you also had the side windows all the way up. I only used it a few times a year when I was driving and the temperature dropped and I did not want to stop to put the top up. So if it's not going up all the way, I would not bother to fix it.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Ok-- got home and measured. It is only 5 1/4" of glass showing in the middle where it is straight.

Last edited by J. Patterson; 09-05-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info! Obviously, my wind deflector is not going all the way up. I'll start searching the forums for suggestions how to fix the problem.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is the same, ~ 5 1/4" at the center. I have the 180, not a 225 but I can't believe that changes the wind deflector.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dh53
Mine is the same, ~ 5 1/4" at the center. I have the 180, not a 225 but I can't believe that changes the wind deflector.
Thanks. Obviously, mine is not going all the way up. Also, it doesn't fully retract (go down) unless I push it down at the same time I'm trying to retract it. Next, I'll search this forum for repair/rebuild posts related to this type of problem. Thanks Again!!
Old 04-10-2018, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Wind Deflector

Originally Posted by billschieman
Thanks. Obviously, mine is not going all the way up. Also, it doesn't fully retract (go down) unless I push it down at the same time I'm trying to retract it. Next, I'll search this forum for repair/rebuild posts related to this type of problem. Thanks Again!!
I just bought an '01 that seems to have a similar problem. I knew the car had some issues for me to work on but maybe you have already solved this one. My wind deflector goes up and down as smoothly as can be, but it only goes up a few inches. I thought it was normal until I saw a pic of one. I would appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions for me before I start taking stuff apart.
-Jared
Old 04-10-2018, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I spent some time looking over my wind deflector and the wiring diagrams in the manual and couldn't find any limit switches that tell the motor when to stop. This is just a guess, but I think the wind deflector relay (it is called a control module in the shop manual) is a current sensing relay. When the deflector gets to the top or the bottom mechanical stop the motor starts to draw a lot more current so the relay shuts the motor off. If this is true, I reiterate it is a guess, it could simply be the deflector is binding because it needs oil or grease. As soon as it starts to bind the relay senses an increase in current and shuts off the motor. I wonder what would happen if you grabbed hold of the glass as it was on the way up and helped it a bit...would it go higher before the motor stops?

One way to look at some of what is going on is through the storage bin in the back of the trunk, see the picture below. Remove the plastic rivets holding the little shelf in and then wiggle it out. You might be able to see a lead screw on each end of the deflector. If you are lucky you might get some spray grease on those lead screws. If not you have to do some more disassembly. See links:
VWVortex.com - DIY: Wind Deflector Belt Replacement
or
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...oblem-2862437/