TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Window drop issue w/ radio staying on

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window drop issue w/ radio staying on

This is my first post and I tried to do as much research as possible before posting as a means to avoid posting a duplicate topic, but I wasn't able to find anything related exactly to what I am experiencing. I just bought a 02 225 TT last month, it is my first Audi and I'm trying to navigate through some of the odd bugs and issues these cars are plagued with. One of which that I have seen come up a bunch is issues with the windows either not working, working 1/2 way up, or the issue I am dealing with...where the passenger window will not do the 1/4 inch drop when opening the door.

I have tried the reset which seems to work for a bit but eventually goes back to the same issue. The window is always in the full up position and will not drop when opening the door. I also noticed last night that randomly the stereo was lit up but nothing on, just all the buttons and LCD screen was lit up red. I tried opening/closing all my doors multiple times and it wouldn't turn off. I ended up pulling the fuse and putting it back in and the radio finally turned off and didn't stay on again after turning the car on/off a few times to test.

However, what I did notice during all of this testing was if i lock the car with the remote, then hit the unlock button twice to unlock the passenger door, the window does the 1/4 inch drop perfectly fine. But after closing the door and opening it again, it doesn't do the drop anymore. I repeated this sequence about a half dozen times with the same results each time.

I don't know if the radio is related to the issue but I thought the remote causing the window to work seemed odd...almost as if the lock action got it to temporarily reset.

Anyway, wanted to see if perhaps anyone has come across this or has any tips/advice on how to fix it.

Looking forward to being a part of the community and trying to give back where I can down the road.

Cheers,

AJ
Old 09-12-2015, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Most likely the microswitch on the door lock unit is bad. Audi does not sell the microswitch, only the whole lock mechanism ($$). There is a thread here that someone posted showing how to change it yourself. Exact switches seem to be hard to find but similar ones that work are available.

Or, Module Master offers a rebuild service at a decent price. Send it in if you are having them rebuild your instrument cluster. You won't be driving the car anyway.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Most likely the microswitch on the door lock unit is bad. Audi does not sell the microswitch, only the whole lock mechanism ($$). There is a thread here that someone posted showing how to change it yourself. Exact switches seem to be hard to find but similar ones that work are available.

Or, Module Master offers a rebuild service at a decent price. Send it in if you are having them rebuild your instrument cluster. You won't be driving the car anyway.
Thanks for the tips. If the microswitch was bad would it work sporadically with using the remote and sometimes just under normal use? I don't know much about this switches so just trying to see if these are signs of it going bad...or if once it has gone bad it may still work from time to time...etc.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Ballykid's '03 TT had the one fail on the passenger door. Then, it worked a couple of times several months later. Then it stopped again. Sometimes, if you S-L-O-W-L-Y pull the outside door handle, the window will move down. close the door, usually it won't move back up. You can sometimes fool the latch with the door open by simulating the striker plate as well.

Bad microswitch, will work intermittently sometimes. Who knows, maybe a wire is loose/broken on yours. Flexible wiring at the door pivot points can go bad as well.