TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Would you recommend a tt?

Old 09-24-2017, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you recommend a tt?

Please don't respond without reading first.

I'm thinking of selling my 600hp c5 (let me know if you are in the market) and buying a low cost awd convertible with a manual transmission.

Based on what i enjoy driving, if the car has <85 w-hp/kip, i probably won't like it much. Assuming 20% drivetrain loss with awd and a manual, that's ~106 c-hp/kip.

searching the classifieds, all i find is the audi s4 b6 and audi tt mk1. In stock form, neither car has a great power/weight ratio.

The s4 has some aftermarket support but everything i've found is extremely expensive.
The tt has lower cost aftermarket, but making this car fast doesn't look easy. At 3340lb, to reach my goal that little 1.8l would have to make ~355c-hp. That seems pretty daunting. I'm wondering if i could reach that goal with a combination of bolt ons and weight reduction.

How much power can the 1.8l make with standard bolt ons and how much will it cost? By standard bolt ons, I'm thinking, twin scroll manifold and larger twin scroll ball bearing turbo, larger ic, cat delete, high flow injectors and fuel pump, e85, maybe higher lift camshafts and higher k-value valve springs and supporting controllers/tune. Am i way off on what the standard bolt ons are for this 1.8l?

How much have others reduced weight on this model in the past? For weight reduction, I'd consider removing the hvac/ac system, side windows and window motors, roof, washer fluid system and wiper system, ballast weight, air bags, audio system and sound deadening. I'd consider getting cheap race seats or taking weight out of the stock ones and getting a cheap lower cca/weight battery. Are there other significant low cost weight reduction methods for this model?

if this platform is just the wrong one, do you have other suggestions?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

The tt can reach 355hp with Bolton stuff (turbo) and a remap (stage 3), but you would at least need to replace the piston rods because they are known to bend at arround 300hp. I think arround $3500 should be enough (If you do the install and fabrication), but if you want more details

The search bar is your friend.

All the answers to your questions are in this forum somewhere.

I have a 2003 tt 225 and enjoy it, but just like you I feel it's missing some hp. I started a thread on my attempt to reduce the car weight it you want to check it out.

Last edited by heavy49; 09-28-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

There are a few that have been built into track day cars as it sounds like you wish to do. I have not seen a big turbo 1.8 T that would live at the track however. Typical failure points are bent rods and dropped exhaust valves. My old blue one is stage 1.5 or so and has lived well at approx 270 hp. Even there though I dropped an exhaust valve ar Road Atlanta and had to replace the original engine 5 years ago. Corvettes make solid track cars :-)
Old 09-28-2017, 10:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
There are a few that have been built into track day cars as it sounds like you wish to do. I have not seen a big turbo 1.8 T that would live at the track however. Typical failure points are bent rods and dropped exhaust valves. My old blue one is stage 1.5 or so and has lived well at approx 270 hp. Even there though I dropped an exhaust valve ar Road Atlanta and had to replace the original engine 5 years ago. Corvettes make solid track cars :-)
+1 IMO 270hp plus weight reduction is your best bet. A while back I read a thread of a guy that got his tt 225 to 2700lb without having to remove the AC, so if you completely gut the car I bet it could get to 2500lb or lower.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 124 Likes on 90 Posts

lb for lb ($ for $) the LS-series is almost impossible to beat. 6.0L LS + tune and turbo (no internal swaps) = 600+hp on pump and with dependability. I've got a good friend with an LS '01 Camaro, turboed, tuned, bolt-ons, and very mild internals that runs 9sec et's all day. The 1.8t would have a tough row to hoe in terms of comparison and 'replacement' of what you're used to. However, a 250-260hp example would still give you a thrill of excitement.

Bear in mind that your 20% drive loss isn't accurate, as the TT's "quattro" is more like FWD with the occasional light power transfer to rears when required. Some aftermarket Haldex controllers increase this 'split', but in stock form, "Quattro", it ain't..
The TT used more of the VW's 4Motion system, where the Other Audis (B-Series) uses trued Quattro, with (imho) a more superior AWD system.

Another option is to VR6 Turbo TT.. Much more base power, but more nose weight. Pick your battles