TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

09 TT convertible top goes down won't go up

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 TT convertible top goes down won't go up

Top will not go up looking for motor and hydraulic reserve. Is the hydraulic reserve in the back of trunk, and where is the pump motor?
Old 08-27-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The hydraulic pump is located in the trunk, between the tool Styrofoam inserts and the bulkhead on the left side. If the top has locked up, it may need a recode with a VAGCOM. Recommend you manually close the top and try to re-cycle it first to see if that solves the problem before taking it into a shop.

How to manually close the top -
The Audi TT Forum :: Login

For more information on the top, Google "SSP 391 Audi TT Roadster" (or this link)
http://www.geott.fr/wp-content/uploa...20Roadster.pdf
Old 08-28-2017, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the links and information. I have found this unit (lots of fun to unbolt) unbolted from trunk left unit closed, question: should it be evident there is hydraulic fluid in this case? It is very light not sure about opening to check for fluid. Any advise? I have manually cycled top a couple of times. Would having the error codes cleared change anything? What could be suggested to go after first.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Unless there is an obvious hydraulic leak, that shouldn't be the problem. If you did a manual open/close, be sure the release valve is closed. No need to pull the cover plate off to get to it, there's a cut out in the carpet (rear left - PITA to access) so you can insert and turn the release valve with the flat screwdriver. When you cycle the top, be sure the ignition is ON (but not running) so the car picks up the electronic signals from the sensors and switches. This usually clears the faults and if you have a flashing yellow indicator on the tach, or a DIS message, they should also go away. You should be able to open and close it with the switch normally at that point.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same car with the same issue, after spending 3 days checking all the sensors and switches I could get too with contact cleaner and WD-40,

I finally took the time to take the pump out of its box and I took the motor off. It was black inside the motor. I cleaned the copper and soaked it in contact cleaner. I refilled the reservoir with CHF 11s to just over the half way mark between the min and max. I found no leaks anywhere in the system. yet my fluid was just at the min mark when I took it out of its box.

I put it all back together and it had the same issue of not going up but it sounded different. I reset the pressure and tried again. It worked! 10 times in a row.

Took me 3 hrs and $30 for the fluid. Hope it took care if it.... I feel like it was worth trying.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jesse Cassotta
I have the same car with the same issue, after spending 3 days checking all the sensors and switches I could get too with contact cleaner and WD-40,

I finally took the time to take the pump out of its box and I took the motor off. It was black inside the motor. I cleaned the copper and soaked it in contact cleaner. I refilled the reservoir with CHF 11s to just over the half way mark between the min and max. I found no leaks anywhere in the system. yet my fluid was just at the min mark when I took it out of its box.

I put it all back together and it had the same issue of not going up but it sounded different. I reset the pressure and tried again. It worked! 10 times in a row.

Took me 3 hrs and $30 for the fluid. Hope it took care if it.... I feel like it was worth trying.

how difficult was the process to refill the fluid?