TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

2009 Audi TTS roadster RNS-E upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 03:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Audi TTS roadster RNS-E upgrade

Hi All,

I am looking to upgrade the old rns-e nav system to the newer advanced Rns-e that the 2010's and above carry. Will this work if i buy the latest version unit and plug it in? I have seen on ebay that it looks the same in size but not sure if it will be that easy. Please let me know as I am looking to use the ipod adapter in the glove compartment. I currently have the cd changer.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't help you with regard to if the newer RNS-E is compatible.
By iPod adapter in the glove box, are you referring to an AMI unit or the Audi OEM iPod interface that replaces the CD changer 8E0-857-925-G-6PS | Audi iPod Interface - Bernardi Parts ?
I replaced my 6 disk CD changer in the glove box on my 2013 TTS with the basic Audi OEM adapter (link above) and used the Tune2Air bluetooth for wireless music streaming - works well. If you're talking about replacing the CD changer with an AMI - that's another whole nightmare. I may be wrong, but I believe that in a TT, even with AMI, you don't get wireless music streaming (unless you use the Tune2Air on the AMI cable).
Old 09-13-2015, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

+1 with Cadx6 on the Tune2Air path. I went that way using the Bernardi parts. Slip out the cd changer, slip in the new tray, put in the T2A module, good to go. It doesn't charge the iPod that way, but for a relatively cheap and definitely quick update, this is hard to beat. You won't get all the functionality of a true AMI interface, but you will be able to navigate within a playlist (once selected) and switch between the radio and the iPod without issues.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cadx6
Can't help you with regard to if the newer RNS-E is compatible.
By iPod adapter in the glove box, are you referring to an AMI unit or the Audi OEM iPod interface that replaces the CD changer 8E0-857-925-G-6PS | Audi iPod Interface - Bernardi Parts ?
I replaced my 6 disk CD changer in the glove box on my 2013 TTS with the basic Audi OEM adapter (link above) and used the Tune2Air bluetooth for wireless music streaming - works well. If you're talking about replacing the CD changer with an AMI - that's another whole nightmare. I may be wrong, but I believe that in a TT, even with AMI, you don't get wireless music streaming (unless you use the Tune2Air on the AMI cable).
Hi, Yes I have tune2air adapter but Im a little worried that the 2009 RNS-E version is older then the 2012 and above model RNSE units and therefore not be compatible. I could be wrong but I will give it a try by just ordering the part you described.Does the kit come with all cables needed? Do I use the CD-changer cable harness?
Old 09-15-2015, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you already have the six disc changer in the glove box - the iPod "interface" unit uses the same cable. Use your radio removal tool to pull out the CD unit, carefully unplug the cable from the back, plug that cable into the iPod unit & slide it back in. No extra cables or cable routing needed.
The head unit recognizes the iPod unit as a CD. Your display will show a bunch of "tracks" & you don't get any song info or album art, but since your'e using your phone or iPod as the music source, you get all that info plus control from there.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ITNETWIZ
Hi All,

I am looking to upgrade the old rns-e nav system to the newer advanced Rns-e that the 2010's and above carry. Will this work if i buy the latest version unit and plug it in? I have seen on ebay that it looks the same in size but not sure if it will be that easy. Please let me know as I am looking to use the ipod adapter in the glove compartment. I currently have the cd changer.
All I found a 2014 RNS-E radio unit on ebay from a 2014 TTS and received it today. I removed the old RNS-E radio and plugged the new one in form the 2014 TTS and it works! The bluetooth module works perfectly, sirius radio works perfectly, the only thing I cant confirm is the ipod AMI and Nav as the unit didn't come with the DVD disc. So I still have to buy the AMI IPOD interface with cable and the Nav 2015/2016 DVD.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can someone who has the ami adapter box in the glovebox pull their Audi Ipod AMI adapter out of the glove box with the radio keys and show me the part number you have? I will pay you a fee if I have to... I need to know the full audi part number