TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Aging TTS, suspension replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aging TTS, suspension replacement

My TTS turned 80k miles and I'd been experiencing a lot of lateral movement in the back end when going over small bumps, expansion joints and lane dots. I thought it might be tire pressure, alignment, or worn bushings -- but not so. The increasingly harsh ride also seemed to indicate that the struts may be on their last legs. Not surprising, as I put MSS springs on the car ta 19k miles (great improvement over OEM) and they tend to wear out the struts sooner due to the lowering aspect.

With the initial price quote of OEM mag-ride strut replacement from the dealer (after I recovered slightly from sticker shock!), I investigated alternative options for 4-corner replacement and mag-ride delete. Though it seemed to save me some $, I was not sure of the ultimate outcome without having the opportunity to experience another TTS with aftermarket coilovers. My fear was that I would opt for some aftermarket alternative, drive out of the the shop, and regret the ride decision -- but have no easy alternative from there.

Then I stumbled across www.audiusaparts.com and realized that I could stay with OEM suspension parts at a savings of about 25-30% over the quoted dealer price (no, I'm not a compensated endorser). And the online customer service was great! So I took the plunge and ordered up the whole replacement package for OEM suspension (with the exception of the springs).

I just got the car back from my independent Audi mechanic (Houston members need to check out Audi Underground for service) and it is like having a new car all over again! Great ride restored, mag-ride retained, and good for another 80k miles...or more.

Hope this helps out fellow members facing the same aging issues on these cars we love...
Old 01-18-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A6S4
My TTS turned 80k miles and I'd been experiencing a lot of lateral movement in the back end when going over small bumps, expansion joints and lane dots. I thought it might be tire pressure, alignment, or worn bushings -- but not so. The increasingly harsh ride also seemed to indicate that the struts may be on their last legs. Not surprising, as I put MSS springs on the car ta 19k miles (great improvement over OEM) and they tend to wear out the struts sooner due to the lowering aspect.

With the initial price quote of OEM mag-ride strut replacement from the dealer (after I recovered slightly from sticker shock!), I investigated alternative options for 4-corner replacement and mag-ride delete. Though it seemed to save me some $, I was not sure of the ultimate outcome without having the opportunity to experience another TTS with aftermarket coilovers. My fear was that I would opt for some aftermarket alternative, drive out of the the shop, and regret the ride decision -- but have no easy alternative from there.

Then I stumbled across www.audiusaparts.com and realized that I could stay with OEM suspension parts at a savings of about 25-30% over the quoted dealer price (no, I'm not a compensated endorser). And the online customer service was great! So I took the plunge and ordered up the whole replacement package for OEM suspension (with the exception of the springs).

I just got the car back from my independent Audi mechanic (Houston members need to check out Audi Underground for service) and it is like having a new car all over again! Great ride restored, mag-ride retained, and good for another 80k miles...or more.

Hope this helps out fellow members facing the same aging issues on these cars we love...
I recently replaced my rear magride shocks at 80,000 miles and used the prices at audiusaparts to get my Audi dealer to bring his prices down to the range that's on the web site. It's good to have some leverage.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good for you Alan4.2 -- great move. I didn't have the option for that, but if they worked with you it is all good.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default So what was the final cost?

How much for parts and how much for labor at your indy shop?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Larry -- Tod here.

Parts for full mag-ride replacement was about $2400 and my mechanic charged $550 for labor. If I had done the full coilover swap out, it would have been within dollars of this. So I stayed with the OEM mag-ride. The MSS springs I installed back at 19k miles made a significant improvement over the stock springs and let me keep the magnetic option.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-21-2018, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Thanks for the info

Hey Larry -- Tod here.

Parts for full mag-ride replacement was about $2400 and my mechanic charged $550 for labor. If I had done the full coilover swap out, it would have been within dollars of this. So I stayed with the OEM mag-ride. The MSS springs I installed back at 19k miles made a significant improvement over the stock springs and let me keep the magnetic option.

Hope that helps!
I'm seeing a lot of mag ride failures in Mk2s after about 7-8 years. Mileage does not seem to be a factor. Cost of replacement is becoming a frequent question on several forums.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
I'm seeing a lot of mag ride failures in Mk2s after about 7-8 years. Mileage does not seem to be a factor. Cost of replacement is becoming a frequent question on several forums.
Well, at 5 years they were tired... Hope that pricing info helps.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to replace my rear shocks myself once the weather starts getting warm. And I agree with Vegas-roadster about increasing malfunction on those Mag-Ride struts. I am thinking on making a tutorial on my journey with that OEM replacement swap with my TTS '10. Got the parts off audiusaparts. Hopefully will help all the DIY enthusiast on the web.

Will post again in a month or so once done.
The following users liked this post:
aftershock23 (03-12-2022)
Old 04-18-2020, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. Bought a used 2013 TTS (with mag ride shocks) a few months ago (70K miles). They've all but died on me now (can't even pass inspection because they're bleeding so much fluid). Has anyone come up with the preferred solution to this yet? Discount mag ride struts? Delete mags and go with good quality coilovers?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced mine with KW street comfort coilovers. I think the price was around $1400, about the same as two Magnaride shocks.
They come with cancellation sensors for the Magnaride electronics. You may have to check around some for availability. It took four weeks to get mine.

Quick Reply: Aging TTS, suspension replacement