TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Air flow problem or are all TTS vehicles affected? Help appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air flow problem on some TT and TTS models -Audi take note for better quality control

I've noticed an annoying problem with the climate control system in my 2010 TTS. I am wondering if there is something wrong with my car or if all TTS vehicles are affected.

Specifically, when the rotary **** for air flow is set to the downward arrow (at 6 o'clock) or the "vent icon" (at 3 o'clock), I still have some air coming out of the vents on top of the dash.

That is to say that when I set the airflow to just come out of the footwell vents below the dash (#5 vents in the attached diagram) or the driver/passenger vents (#'s 3 and 4 in the attached diagram), some air still seems to come out of the vents on the top of the dash (#'s 1 and 2).

This is annoying since it is hot and humid on the East Coast and I constantly get areas of condensation in the middle of my windshield from the top dashboard vents even when I want all the air to come out from the footwell vents or from the driver/passenger vents (see attached camera phone pics). I then need to hit the wiper blades every few minutes. The defrost button is not lit and it happens with recirculated air too.

Can someone let me know if air still comes out of the top central dash vents even when the rotary **** is specifically set to the downward arrow or the vent icon at 3 o'clock?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images     

Last edited by TTS - AR; 09-23-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bump. Anyone? Can someone put their AC on high with the vent directional **** on the floor setting (arrow down) and hold their hand over the top of the dash and tell me if they feel cold air?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello TTS - AR

I have a 2010 TTS Coupe. I just did what you asked.

No, I do not have cold air coming out of the top vents.

I did the 6 o'clock and the 3 o'clock. At the 6 o'clock position, air exits from #3 and #5 vents only.

At 3'oclock, #3 and #4 vents only.

And your welcome.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks! Time to exercise my warranty at the dealer.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey TTS-AR
Don't know if this helps, but I have a 2009 TT and my upper vents "leak" a bit in the 3 and 6 o'clock positions. Not much, but it prolly wouldn't take much to cause some condensation like you have.
I haven't noticed it myself though.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kendoist4162
Hey TTS-AR
Don't know if this helps, but I have a 2009 TT and my upper vents "leak" a bit in the 3 and 6 o'clock positions. Not much, but it prolly wouldn't take much to cause some condensation like you have.
I haven't noticed it myself though.
In my 2010 roadster, the upper vents don't leak at all when set to either 6 o'clock or auto, even with the fan set to max. They leak very slighty in the 3 o'clock position when the fan is set to max. I've never noticed the condensation you're having.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Finally checked mine (103 today). No leaks here. Yes, sounds like a little quality time with the service techs is in order here.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just had the 5K service. Dealer said "everything is functioning as it should with no faults or errors" though they did confirm that air was coming out of the top of the dash when the directional indicator is plainly on the footwells. I am not sure that this is "everything functioning as it should" but I am not anxious to have them rip apart the dash either.

Hey Audi - We need better quality control. I emailed Audi USA with a link to this forum.

Last edited by TTS - AR; 09-23-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TTS - AR
Just had the 5K service. Dealer said "everything is functioning as it should with no faults or errors" though they did confirm that air was coming out of the top of the dash when the directional indicator is plainly on the footwells. I am not sure that this is "everything functioning as it should" but I am not anxious to have them rip apart the dash either.

Hey Audi - We need better quality control. I emailed Audi USA with a link to this forum.
That is an ***-pain.

Once upon a time, we owned an awsomely beautiful Passat VR6 wagon (in forest green) that drove like a dream and was really nicely appointed. After a scant 18 months of dealing with VWUSA service, we exited the VW ownership scene and sold the car (got quite a bit more than was owed at the time). They were ridiculous. Sounds like there are more than a few Audi stands operating on the VW plan...
Old 09-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If it impacts your ability to see it's a safety issue, potentially subject to the lemon law in your state. Also, you can go to arbitration.

Quick Reply: Air flow problem or are all TTS vehicles affected? Help appreciated.