TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Air Vent Phone Mounts - Mine damaged the vent!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Vent Phone Mounts - Mine damaged the vent!

Hey folks,

After doing some research on what worked for people in the TT, I picked up the Kenu Airframe+. Unfortunately, the mount has damaged the seemingly somewhat fragile vent in my TT.

I attached the mount to the second fin up from the bottom, and when removing the phone from the mount it yanked the fin out from the vent and bent the metal 'blade' which connects the fins and makes them all move together. Now, I can't get the fin back in and attached to the 'blade' and the fins don't move together.

Has anyone else used this mount, and do you have any tips for securely attaching this without damaging the vent? I've been using it on the same vent now in the center blade (where the adjuster tab is), and that seems to be a bit more durable, but it doesn't seat as securely as it did on the others. I'd obviously like to fix my vent, but it's not a huge priority for me.

I don't want to mount the phone on the knee bolster as I've seen some folks doing, as I don't want to have to look down that far or get in the way of my knee or shifter, and I definitely want it to be center mounted and not off to the side.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had a similar experience. Although I was able to snap my vent back in place, I wouldn't use a holder like that again. I've caved to the idea that my phone is better off in my pocket as I don't really use it when driving anyhow.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by oldenglish
Hey folks,

After doing some research on what worked for people in the TT, I picked up the Kenu Airframe+. Unfortunately, the mount has damaged the seemingly somewhat fragile vent in my TT.

I attached the mount to the second fin up from the bottom, and when removing the phone from the mount it yanked the fin out from the vent and bent the metal 'blade' which connects the fins and makes them all move together. Now, I can't get the fin back in and attached to the 'blade' and the fins don't move together.

Has anyone else used this mount, and do you have any tips for securely attaching this without damaging the vent? I've been using it on the same vent now in the center blade (where the adjuster tab is), and that seems to be a bit more durable, but it doesn't seat as securely as it did on the others. I'd obviously like to fix my vent, but it's not a huge priority for me.

I don't want to mount the phone on the knee bolster as I've seen some folks doing, as I don't want to have to look down that far or get in the way of my knee or shifter, and I definitely want it to be center mounted and not off to the side.

If it is like a mk1, there is a linkage at the center that connects all the vent slats together. Sounds like it got dislodged by the kenu. That happened to me once way back. If you look closely you'll see how to snap it all back in place. You might have to pull that vent out of its socket in the dash to get to the back side. Can't remember. It has been a long time. I use a kenu in all of our Audis but I am careful not to dislodge that link or a vent slat when moving it. Good Luck!
Old 04-18-2017, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
If it is like a mk1, there is a linkage at the center that connects all the vent slats together. Sounds like it got dislodged by the kenu. That happened to me once way back. If you look closely you'll see how to snap it all back in place. You might have to pull that vent out of its socket in the dash to get to the back side. Can't remember. It has been a long time. I use a kenu in all of our Audis but I am careful not to dislodge that link or a vent slat when moving it. Good Luck!
Thanks, yeah I think I'm going to need to pull the vent to get everything back in alignment. I may just leave it for now then pull it and put a boost gauge in it's place though!