TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

anyone have the iphone 3g with the TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have the iphone 3g with the TT

does it have a dock specially designed for the Iphone?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Audi has a charger and mount specific to the iPhone....

if you have the phone prep package, then it fits right in the center console and charges it and holds the phone nice and tight... The phone then connects via bluetooth... if you have the AUX plug in your center console, that's how I'd suggest to play your music as the ipod adapter for the glove box really sucks (and won't charge it I don't believe)..

Both the first gen iPhone and the 3g both work with the holder... It's about $200-250.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yup

You can put some of the plastic pieces in the iphone/ipod adapter kit together to make it fit nicely. HOWEVER, be warned ! It does not charge. If you look in you'll see a warning message saying it doesn't charge and do you want to turn of the radio or bluetooth or some such thing. I ignore it and it goes away eventually. You will hear a brief dimming of the volume when you get an email message and the phone integration still works nicely.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:58 PM

Default thanks canuck and proport

my contract is up on my phone and was looking into getting an iphone

i didn't order the bluetooth option on the 09 TT, so it's gonna be annoying that it won't be fully incorporated, oh well had to draw the budget line somewhere lol
Old 01-13-2009, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh great, I was JUST writing a nice long winded response!
Old 01-13-2009, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Both phone prep and iPod integration are disco'd for 2009. (Still posting it!)

I have the Audi iPhone specific phone prep adapter from my 08 3.2 as well as the interface that the adapter mounts on from the rear part of the centre console. Unfortunately the wiring that ran through the centre console (to connect the interface to the audio) for 2008 was also removed for 2009 in the build month of September.

For some reason the OCD in me lost out and I stopped there. I guess the idea of ripping apart the interior to install a wiring harness just to charge my phone seemed a little over the top.

As for connecting the iPod (or any other portable media device) the 2009 models lost the iPod specific integration in the glove box, but gained an AUX-in. It's a little 1.5 mm input on the front side of the tray that replaced the phone prep integration (on the rear centre console.) Get yourself a male/male 1.5 mm cord and you can plug anything in that has a headphone jack. Only downside is no charging, but there is a 12V plug right there too.

There! I posted it anyhow!
Old 01-13-2009, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you're getting an '09 then there's no iPhone integration, but there is a great solution...

Get the Kensington iPhone 3G car charger/Aux out kit. Works brilliantly on my '09. You plug in the charger in the cigarette lighter behind the armrest and plug the integrated aux out cable into the TT's aux port which is also located behind the arm rest. What's great is that the Aux cord is really short if you don't use the extender, so less spaghetti.

The iPhone fits nicely either in the cup holder or rubber phone tray just behind the charger.

Once set up all you need to do is plug the iPhone to the Kensington's 30 pin connector and you get charging and audi. No headphone cable needed.

A shame you didn't get Bluetooth. It's essential IMO. But I believe you can hear calls through your stereo system if the iPhone's connected to the car's aux in. Don't know for sure though since Bluetooth takes over when a call comes through in my car.

I can take a picture of my setup if you're interested.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nope... no dock... You can get the Audi Accessory from the dealer though

It's the same thing as the 2008 (replaces the changer in the glove box)... but it will cost you about $300 plus install.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Take pictures! We are interested.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't forget to tell him that it is SUPER LAME and overpriced.

Quick Reply: anyone have the iphone 3g with the TT