TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Audi installed iPod connector?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi installed iPod connector?

Hi All -
Has anyone had the Audi OEM iPod connector installed in their MKII? I currently have an appointment with Audi to have this done (quoted me $350). The mentioned that when the connector is installed my glove compartment CD changer will not work anymore since it needs the ports from the CD so that the iPod will work with the MMI system. They also mentioned that my Satellite system might not wok anymore either.

Has anyone heard of that and also do people like the connector system? I've looked for 3rd party iPod installaton kits (like the one where you plug your iPod in the ashtray) but I was quoted a price >$450 and I'm not really excited that the iPod just sits there (doesn't seem very sturdy).

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get in touch with the guys at enfig.com. They have numerous solutions that will provide better functionality than the OEM unit for less $'s. I personally have the Dension Gateway 100 ($200. total cost and 5 minuites to install and I'm a WD40 and duct tape tool kinda guy!). The Dension unit charges the ipod, allows MFSW controls and even has song name display on the cluster ...

Cheers !
Old 01-05-2011, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi fu13bu,
My 08 has the ipod connector and much like anyone will say there is good and bad associated with it.
I use my Iphone and it always worked until recently the connector port started to do some weird stuff and refused to connect(bad pins) I'm assuming that they were damaged because you rarely ever get the ipod/iphone seated correctly when you first place it in. So I have an appointment for them to replace mine under warranty since it no longer works. Any one who has this in their car pre 2010 will tell you it is lame because you can not see what song it is that you are playing which defeats the purpose of having this option. It only shows a track list 1-6. I'm assuming you have the newer MMI which has taken care of this!
I have to say it never bothered me that I could not see the list of songs or artist ...all that mattered is that I had the latest music from my phone( I update a lot) with the sd card I just leave them in there instead of removing to update. The good thing about the dock in the box is that it keeps my phone charged and plays the latest tunes and also still uses the steering wheel buttons which I really like. I also have the ability to use the aux in (second port) another added way to use any mp3 player but then you don't get to use the steering wheel buttons. Having this option shouldn't in any way delete the ability to use Satalite radio....but I could be wrong! someone will chime in to tell you difinitively whether it does. Long story short ..I like the ipod ability even with its shortcomings but as I stated earlier if you have the newer MMI you will enjoy the Ipod/Iphone feature more because it now does what it's supposed to do.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

iPod touch or iPhone?

I have an iPhone...

I use the AUX in with a
Blackberry Music Gateway

The phone will pair with both the car and the Gateway... no control over the iPhone without touching it or using voiceover.

When I get a call seamlessly goes to the car system. When done switches back.

No wires except for in the AUX in area. Could probably have it hardwired in for very cheap.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Also have an '08 with iPod adapter. I had to have it replaced due to bad pins - now works fine. I use it with an 80gb iPod classic, but just got a new iPhone 4 for business. I don't have MMI, so it only displays channels 7-12 and track number. Works fine with standard multi-CD changer, satellite radio etc. I like the system.

Although the iPhone pairs easily to the car's bluetooth, I just can't get the favorites list on my iPhone to download to the list on the car's display. If I have all contacts sync'd that works, but I have to scroll thru >100 names which is a PIA.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info Stevelev and everyone! Enfig definitely looks like the way to go and for half the price!