TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Audi TT Convertible Top Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marki Mark
Well said there Phil. There is that always insecurity.

I believe I have understood what has happened with the top. So, this evening I take the top down and it worked fine. As a matter of fact, it worked pretty quick as well and as soon as it sat down, it made a small thump noise. It just made me wonder why it went down that quick. But it was one of those things where I just felt happy and drove out. Once I got back, parked the car and took the top back up, like always I had a look around the car for any new scratches, tires pressure, top etc and there it was, sadly, the glue had come undone against the canvas and rear screen. So annoyed at this stage I can't begin to tell you. Now I believe because the glue has came undone of the top part of the screen and canvas, it dropped faster due to the weight of the glass which may have sorted the flaps folding back and the mirrors going back to normal speed but of course now I have another issue to deal with. Surly taking this in for gluing is going to cost a fortune. I'm currently finding a way to see if I can fix this myself.
There is a problem I have not experienced, nor have I seen anyone on Audi boards voicing concern about this. Are you sure your top is original? Do you have all of the repair records on the car? I would at least take it to an Audi dealer and have them look at it and give you their advice on repair - on an '09, this should not happen! See what they'll do for you. Not even sure what kind of glue I would use to hold the canvas to the screen - the tops on these cars are incredibly heavy and I wonder if a more permanent repair will be needed. Let me and us know how you make out.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

TT's are great looking with the top down. Now let's pray it still goes up!
Attached Images   
Old 04-16-2015, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't been over there recently, but there has been talk off and on on the MKI forum about the rear glass. We never had an issue with our MKI TT Roadster, so don't have any first hand help. From what I remember home fixes were possible, but nothing worked all that well.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

On my old 2008 TT 3.2 I had the roof replaced once (someone smashed the rear window) and since then I had a number of times I had to get my flap motors adjusted or replaced. At first this was done under warranty and some Audi instructions about known issues. At some point some Audi engineer stopped by my dealer to look at the issue and they replaced flap motors again (after a few weeks of investigating, which was covered by a free loaner!).

They did want me to pay for that ($500-ish?), but when I showed them my paperwork on how many times it had been adjusted / replaced and asking what my guarantee was that it would work now if I paid the $ my dealer replaced them free of charge.

In the end the dealer made it right and will be getting my business again ordering a new 2016 TT. Unfortunately I lost my 2008 (was a manual too!) in an accident, but the roof worked great for the last year or so after the last flap motor replacement.

If you have a good dealer and you're nice in dealing with them they might be able to replace / fix things free of charge to you after a bit of pushing
Old 05-18-2015, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.2 Roadster Top

Just to add my 2 cents. I've had my 2008 roadster since 2011 and have had to have the top fixed, adjusted, etc at least once per year since I've owned the car. The first year various relays and controllers were replaced via a tsb, then the flaps were adjusted, and last year an adaptation was performed (like an exorcism for the top). So far this year, the first time in use, the windows have been jerky at the end of the cycle, but everything has been ok since. It is an adventure, that is for sure. If there is a chance of rain before I can get home, the top stays up.

Update to this post on 5/24. Had the car washed today and later when I tried to put the top down got an error that said that the top was not operable. Sucked it up and was about to drive home top up when I thought of the previous wash and checked the position of the flaps. Put pressure on both towards the interior and tried the top again. Presto, it worked.. When the interior was cleaned they must have bumped the flaps and closed a switch.

Good luck.

Last edited by Alan4.2; 05-24-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Alan4.2
Just to add my 2 cents. I've had my 2008 roadster since 2011 and have had to have the top fixed, adjusted, etc at least once per year since I've owned the car. The first year various relays and controllers were replaced via a tsb, then the flaps were adjusted, and last year an adaptation was performed (like an exorcism for the top). So far this year, the first time in use, the windows have been jerky at the end of the cycle, but everything has been ok since. It is an adventure, that is for sure. If there is a chance of rain before I can get home, the top stays up.

Good luck.
Exactly my experience. Yet I still love the car! My service advisor at Audi advised that living in a cold climate I drop the top during the winter (in the garage of course) to keep things aligned. Problem seems to arise first time in the Spring when I try to lower the top after it's been up all winter. I will give that a try next season. Hopefully, that will keep things working well.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't know what to tell you but.. I've had the same problem when i purchased the used TT last yr.
cv top wouldn't close once it's opened, so I had to close it manually.
meanwhile, i found out my tt had a history of changing flap motors about 4 or 5 times. I took it to a mechanic who was master guild ? as an audi mechanic. he changed to flap motors and it worked fine as it did before.
also I haven't had the same problem past 8 months or so.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

another top problem....our 2008 TT roadster. have had it since new. had the driver's side flap motor replaced twice, last time in '12. This past Sunday, the top failed in the full open position. the windows moved and both flaps raised, but nothing else. manually closed the roof, and took it into the dealer on Tuesday. Its now Thursday evening. Dealer says no faults are showing on diagnostics, but they cannot get the roof to move either. They've opened a ticket with Audi and have progressed to bench testing each module to discover the culprit. Provided them the history printouts of the previous replacements and TSB, hoping to get a reduction in cost. Any suggestions on where the fault might be? thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As indicated above, I've had problems with the top related to the Flap motors annually since I bought the car in 2011. Last year both flap motors were changed at the same time and so far ........ Don't want to jinx it. Last service was done at my expense, but if it does the job, I'm happy.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default How to Resolve Convertible Top Problems (Audi TT Mk2 8J)

I wrote this for the UK Audi Forum. Might come in handy for anyone with a top that won't open or close. I'm currently working on a re-write of the PDF, but the information will help if you're ever stuck.
The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - How to: Manual Closing of the Audi TT (8J) Convertible Top

Additional trouble-shooting information including VCDS scans, top alignment instructions, how to clean and degrease the flap servo motors and a much longer discussion on this issue can be found here -
The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - Soft top roof failure - please help!

Last edited by SwissJetPilot; 03-20-2018 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Additional information

Quick Reply: Audi TT Convertible Top Issue