TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Audi TT MK2 & Audi A5 B8 Coupe which is a better option?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi TT MK2 & Audi A5 B8 Coupe which is a better option?

I'm planning to purchase a used audi.

Audi TT has always been my dream car but only some cars falls within my budget.
Currently i'm eyeing on a 2008 Audi TT mk2 with 50k miles on it fully kitted up, while i have another option which is the Audi A5 Coupe B8 2014 with 50k miles too. (Both using the 2.0L engine) Prices are roughly the same

I have friends saying that the A5 will encounter pistons issues etc etc, i'm currently located in ASIA so the weather is really hot.

Which will be a better choice? Personally, i prefer the TT in terms of looks but its a 11 years old car so i'm afraid that i might run into problems in the near future.

Would really appreciate your suggestions and what i should be prepared for in terms of repairs/replacements etc
(I do not know about cars at all......)

Old 05-31-2019, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts

Read this FAQ on the TT. However, the FAQ is for USA TTs and may not apply in Asia. https://forums.fourtitude.com/showth...-MK2-TT-a5-FAQ
As you will see, Audi 2L engines are not all alike. IMO, the best Mk 2 TT options in the US are the 3.2L with a manual tranny or a 2011+ that has the dramatically improved 2L engine. Rear seating could be the deciding factor for you. Rear seats in the TT coupe are only suitable for children, or adults for very short distances/emergencies. No major TT drivetrain issues as long as fluids have been changed according to spec. TTs with mag ride shocks start to leak after about 7 years, irrespective of mileage, and cost about $3K in the US to replace all 4. No other major Mk 2 TT issues.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Read this FAQ on the TT. However, the FAQ is for USA TTs and may not apply in Asia. https://forums.fourtitude.com/showth...-MK2-TT-a5-FAQ
As you will see, Audi 2L engines are not all alike. IMO, the best Mk 2 TT options in the US are the 3.2L with a manual tranny or a 2011+ that has the dramatically improved 2L engine. Rear seating could be the deciding factor for you. Rear seats in the TT coupe are only suitable for children, or adults for very short distances/emergencies. No major TT drivetrain issues as long as fluids have been changed according to spec. TTs with mag ride shocks start to leak after about 7 years, irrespective of mileage, and cost about $3K in the US to replace all 4. No other major Mk 2 TT issues.
They dont have the 3.2L available in thailand
I have decided to go for the A5 Coupe since its 2014 and since they have the same mileage, it will also be easier for me to sell it off 2 years time. Insurance companies doesn't offer insurance for a 2008 continental car in thailand too lol.....

Thank you for your insights too!