TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Battery drain after aftermarket head unit install on 2008 TT - dealer says

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain after aftermarket head unit install on 2008 TT - dealer says

Preface that I am terrible with cars and electronics in general.

All I wanted was to be able to use my phone hands-free and play Spotify through my sound system on my (new-to-me) 2008 TT. I guess I may have dreamed too hard.

-This January, I took my car to a well-established, well-reviewed major metropolitan stereo shop to install a Pioneer AVH-X4700BS. I had a great-sounding system which worked perfectly and I was very happy.

-Six weeks later, I woke up one morning to a dead battery. I jumped it, drove it around for a bit, no problem.

-A week later, I woke up to the same issue and so I took it to a battery shop who said the battery was good, just not fully charged.

-Bought a battery charger. Charged the battery. Dead battery three days later.

-Took car back to stereo shop, who said wiring was fine. Again to battery shop, battery/alternator checked out as good, but I elected to replace the 8-yr-old battery.

-One week later, dead battery. Took it back to stereo shop, furious. They kept it two days and realized Sirius receiver was hot to touch with engine off. Disconnected Sirius. Reported no more draw. Drove home. Battery dead 7 days later.

-Fed up, took car to dealership, who kept it for 10 days. Just called me today to let me know it's the Bluetooth receiver causing the draw. They have pulled my entire aftermarket unit and are going to try a cold start tomorrow.

-Received text just now that radio will be disconnected along with modules. I replied "so i will need to have the radio reinstalled?" reply: "No, if you replace radio with aftermarket it will do the same. The entire circuit for radio and modules work together. Only solution is to replace with OEM." I half-jokingly asked her if she had any other solutions aside from buying a new Audi. "No sir i don't have any other solution."

Sorry for the long story, but I spent an awful lot of money having the system installed, replaced a battery that probably didn't need replacing and am gonna face a ridiculous dealership bill AND i have no music in my car. I'm a little mad and would really appreciate your help. If you could keep the mocking of my noob knowledge and bad decisions to a minimum, I'd really appreciate it.

Best,
John
Old 05-20-2016, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear of your issue. The electrical systems in cars are pretty complicated these days. The dealer would rather sell you an OEM system for sure. Money in their pocket and you likely won't get the system you're looking for. You may have better luck with the system installer. Loads of people have upgraded without issue so there must be a solution.
I have read that there is a sensor or switch in the driver door locking system that fails over time and causes the alarm system once armed to continue to try to communicate with the failed part. Causing a parasitic draw. The recommendation was to use a voltmeter on the battery and begin pulling fuses to determine which system is drawing power when no power should be drawn.
Short term you could keep a trickle charger on the car until it can be determined what the issue really is.
Sorry for not having a perfect answer but someone on here may.
Good luck the solution is out there.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks, martian - dealer has no audi-branded options for me, which just seems bizarre. after all, i bought the TT after putting 200k miles on a '96 A6 whose stereo i upgraded to bluetooth myself - again, more complicated electronics, i suppose.

trickle charger solution would be an okay temporary fix, but i'm in an apartment without a garage/outlet.

interesting you bringing up the door locks as i've had intermittent difficulty UNlocking with fob (but no problem locking) since battery issues started. But dealer pulled fuses on locks and draw was still present evidently. I may try getting my money back from stereo store and trying again with a different one. Crutchfield had zero options for 2008 TTs back in January, but are now showing the Blaupunkt San Antonio 640 as compatible, which would be fine with me.

thanks again, if only for the reassurance that it IS possible to upgrade the unit.

best,
john
Old 05-21-2016, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

try
Radio installation products for Audi TT 2007-2012 EnfigCarStereo.com
Old 11-08-2018, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default battery drain

Hey there,

So very similar issue.
Installed new aftermarket radio and now have battery drain after about 24 hrs. If I use dsily no problem.
Installer replaced module and radio to no avail.

I have noticed issues with the key fob working and not working, but have no clue as to what eoukd cause tjos to happen. Had ar for 10 years never an issue.
Can anyone give some guidance, the installer s been in business 35 years and has good rep. They are tripped up as well.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

David......
Just to be clear I never found a solution either. My TT isn't a daily driver so it's on a trickle charger most of the time. The battery will strangely last weeks sometimes and other times just a few days. It's very odd and I've never had the time to volt meter each fuse for power draw. That is the solution checking for draws. It's a central locking system issue I believe. If you do find a solution please keep us posted.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Is the BT receiver possibly on the 12v wire instead of the ignition? It sounds like it's getting constant power instead of only being powered when you start the vehicle. I install car stereos as a hobby and have seen some of the best shops really screw the pooch on several occasions.

"I have noticed issues with the key fob working and not working, but have no clue as to what eoukd cause tjos to happen. "

Have you tried replacing the battery in the key fob? And when you say 'working and not working' - what happens, exactly? Do the lights flash? Do you hear the beep? Does only one door unlock?

"interesting you bringing up the door locks as i've had intermittent difficulty UNlocking with fob (but no problem locking) since battery issues started."

THAT sounds like the door lock actuator is bad, which is fairly common. Here's a link to a video on what it takes to replace one (not a TT, but you get the idea):

Old 03-02-2019, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Got my fill of the aftermarket sound system biz years ago. For a few years my son was constantly seeking the next big thumper, entered competitions, etc. Every time he bought the next new thing, the new installer dissed whoever did the prior install as being an idiot. Constantly fighting battery discharge issues. It's a business of trial and error and you are frequently the error.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

i used enfig in my 2011 TTS. Going on year 2 with no apparent issues. Worth the investment. I think I spent as much on his harnesses than the stereo but meant no cutting of factory wiring.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all!
I know it past a lot of time but... i have the same problem...
Did you sort it?

Quick Reply: Battery drain after aftermarket head unit install on 2008 TT - dealer says