TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Buying a 2014 Audi TTS Coupe (Premium Plus)...anything I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2014 Audi TTS Coupe (Premium Plus)...anything I should know?

Dealership wants $43,9k for it... is that a fair price? NADA and KBB seem to indicate that's a fair market value price for it.

It's a 2014 Audi TTS w/ Premium Plus package in Samao Orange. It has the 19" premium wheels (I think they're 12 or 14-spoke). 7,995 miles on it. Was a 1-owner lease and they stopped making payments so it got repossesed and picked up at an auction.

My primary questions are... is there anything, reliability wise, I should know about this car in advance? Specific things I should check and/or ask?

Since it is a 2014 w/ 8k miles, shouldn't there still be manufacturer warranty remaining that could be transferred to me?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default I assume you are not buying it from an Audi dealer

Originally Posted by snowmunky
Dealership wants $43,9k for it... is that a fair price? NADA and KBB seem to indicate that's a fair market value price for it.

It's a 2014 Audi TTS w/ Premium Plus package in Samao Orange. It has the 19" premium wheels (I think they're 12 or 14-spoke). 7,995 miles on it. Was a 1-owner lease and they stopped making payments so it got repossesed and picked up at an auction.

My primary questions are... is there anything, reliability wise, I should know about this car in advance? Specific things I should check and/or ask?

Since it is a 2014 w/ 8k miles, shouldn't there still be manufacturer warranty remaining that could be transferred to me?

Thanks for your feedback.
The Mk 2 TT is a very reliable car with no chronic issues. The original manufacturer's 4year/50K warranty is automatically transferred to any owner. The start date of the warranty is the date it was first sold.

I don't know what you mean when you say it has the "premium plus package". According to the AudiWorld model guide, the 2014 TTS did not have different trim lines (premium plus, prestige, etc) like the earlier models and there was no such thing as a "premium plus package" option.

Asking about fair price without photos, a web link, or build sheet is impossible. KBB and NADA give you a general guide. I always do a search on Cars.com and Autotrader over a 500 mile radius to see what similar cars are actually being offered. Since it is not an Audi CPO, have a body shop check for damage or have the seller state in writing the car has not had body work (Carfax does not always have all repair information). Also, call up your local Audi service manager with the VIN and ask him to evaluate the car's repair/maintenance history.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
The Mk 2 TT is a very reliable car with no chronic issues. The original manufacturer's 4year/50K warranty is automatically transferred to any owner. The start date of the warranty is the date it was first sold.

I don't know what you mean when you say it has the "premium plus package". According to the AudiWorld model guide, the 2014 TTS did not have different trim lines (premium plus, prestige, etc) like the earlier models and there was no such thing as a "premium plus package" option.

Asking about fair price without photos, a web link, or build sheet is impossible. KBB and NADA give you a general guide. I always do a search on Cars.com and Autotrader over a 500 mile radius to see what similar cars are actually being offered. Since it is not an Audi CPO, have a body shop check for damage or have the seller state in writing the car has not had body work (Carfax does not always have all repair information). Also, call up your local Audi service manager with the VIN and ask him to evaluate the car's repair/maintenance history.

Thanks for the reply and info.

Yea, I read the same thing about packages/options, which is why it confused me that the dealer had it listed specifically as a TTS w/ Premium Plus Package. It does have the 19" multi-spoke wheels and navigation, as well as leather (not the multi-color leather, however). I'm still researching trying to figure out what all the different options were and which ones this car has. I've asked the dealer for the original sticker, so we'll see.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is the same car with less miles and $4K less in price.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5126532725.html

Try talking you dealer down to $40k/41Kish. At $43,9K it was probably a $35K-37K purchase for the dealer.

Also, if the car still has the USA Warranty & Maintenance book in the glove box; look inside the front cover for a sticker with the codes for every option specked on the car. Just find an Audi decoder online and you're in business.

Last edited by Climberdave; 07-20-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Climberdave
Here is the same car with less miles and $4K less in price.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5126532725.html

Try talking you dealer down to $40k/41Kish. At $43,9K it was probably a $35K-37K purchase for the dealer.

Also, if the car still has the USA Warranty & Maintenance book in the glove box; look inside the front cover for a sticker with the codes for every option specked on the car. Just find an Audi decoder online and you're in business.
Nice find! Thanks for that!

Yea, I was going to try to talk them down to the $40-41k range already, but this is a good comp I can use as reference!

Although, looking at the one you sent versus the one I'm having CarMax ship to the nearest dealership (they took the listing down on their website as soon as I paid the $450 to have it shipped to the closest CarMax dealership)... the one I'm looking at didn't have any of the chrome on the front grille/foglight area, it was all black IIRC. Was that an option?

Also, do they all come with the automatic spoiler? Does it raise/lower at certain speeds or is it manually controlled?

Thanks for the info guys! I'm looking forward to being an Audi owner!
Old 07-20-2015, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Actually, via Google Images, I was able to find a pic of the one I'm looking at via CarMax:

Old 07-20-2015, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nevermind, was able to figure it out with a bit of research. Apparently the one I'm looking at has the 'black optics' package.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Carmax does not negotiate price

Originally Posted by snowmunky
Nice find! Thanks for that!

Yea, I was going to try to talk them down to the $40-41k range already, but this is a good comp I can use as reference!

Although, looking at the one you sent versus the one I'm having CarMax ship to the nearest dealership (they took the listing down on their website as soon as I paid the $450 to have it shipped to the closest CarMax dealership)... the one I'm looking at didn't have any of the chrome on the front grille/foglight area, it was all black IIRC. Was that an option?

Also, do they all come with the automatic spoiler? Does it raise/lower at certain speeds or is it manually controlled?

Thanks for the info guys! I'm looking forward to being an Audi owner!
The spoiler automatically deploys at about 68 mph. You can control it manually but very few people do because of potential vandal damage when parked.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Swanky! The black ops package looks great with the Orange paint (much better than the chrome, IMHO).

One thing that has bugged me from day one about my TT is that the dealer didn't unlock the navigation DVD in the stereo (RNS-E) upon delivery. When I open the stereo face and push the DVD/CD eject button - nothing happens. Not that I really care too much about playing CD's, the rub is that I can't update the navigation's DVD on my own (at least until I go back to the dealer and have them unlock it or buy the VCDS cable and do it myself).

Check to see what RNS-E connection cables are present in the glove box. My TT had the older apple 30pin cable, but was missing the rest.

Make sure you get all of the keys. You should have two flip keys, one emergency door key and a valet key. If not, you have to go through an Audi dealer to have new ones cut/coded to the car.

Have an Audi dealer look up you car's VIN in their system. After I bought my TT (used and not from an Audi dealer) the Audi guys were ale to tell me that all of my scheduled maintenance services were prepaid by the previous owner up to and including the 75,000 service.

Last, but not least. After you collect the car (assuming that you will) have an Audi shop change the oil. A few days after I bought my TT I noticed oil drips on my garage floor. The Audi dealer confirmed that the Nissan dealership had messed up the drain bolt and used the wrong oil filter. The TT/TT-S is supposed to have it's first oil change at 5K miles and then every 10K or one year. The in the back of maintenance manual there is a place for the dealer to stamp every oil change and service for the car. Take a look and see if anything has been documented.

Besides those little things, these are splendid cars and I am really enjoying the experience.

Good luck with the purchase!!
Old 07-25-2015, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The car should be CPO - that would add an additional $1500 or so to the purchase price, but it's worth it to extend the factory warranty.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2014 Audi TTS Coupe (Premium Plus)...anything I should know?