TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Corvette c6 convertible to Audi tt v6 awd convertible

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette c6 convertible to Audi tt v6 awd convertible

Hey guys,

This is my first post here.

I currently am driving a corvette c6 convertible.

I am considering making the switch when my lease comes up.

It seems the v6 tt was only produced for a couple years.

Is there a reason for this?

Do any of you have any experience driving the car in snow?

How does it handle?

That is a main reason we are considering it.

has anyone made a similar switch?

The audi I am looking at is a 2009 v6 awd.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not clear to me why Audi dropped the V6. Incredibly stupid IMHO but assume they are no longer trying to appeal as much to the sports car fans. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Owned a 2001 A4 quattro that is easily the best AWD vechicle I've ever driven (drove like a tank in the snow). Do think the MK2 much better in the snow than the MK1 (which never really impressed me even with good snow tires) but don't see it as up to the level of the A4. I assume it will handle better than currently once I replace the run flats. Have driven an MB SLK, Boxster S, MK1 quattro and MK1 FWD in the snow....all were at times scary. DOn't feel that the case with the MK2. My past experiences have taught me not to mess with the sportcar FWD or RWD.....you never know when the weather might get bad (==> New England) and it's your life that is on the line. Will say that the Boxster S and SLK were at times scary on wet roads as well....and I had good tires when owning both cars.

BosTTon
Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thank you for the reply,

this puts me somewhat at ease over it capabilities in the snow.

The vette is very dangerous with even a bit of snow on the ground.

With run flat tires and the traction control on.

Is anyone here familiar with the audi tt v6 awd market.

Is 36,500 to much for an 09 with 12,000 miles on it.

Any other comments about the car would be helpful in my decision.

Does anyone here feel that the car is underpowered as a sports car?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BosTTon
Not clear to me why Audi dropped the V6. Incredibly stupid IMHO but assume they are no longer trying to appeal as much to the sports car fans. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Some of us obviously disagree that the V6 was the only way to get to the "sports car fans," esp. since a TTS will spank a 3.2 and still get much better mileage at the same time. And they've introduced the TT-RS as well! Audi has simply chosen a different route, and many would rather save the extra gas consumption and weight of the v6, preferring the hot rodded and easily even further modifiable 2.0 in the TTS if you want more power than the base car offers... there are still '09 V6s out there for sale obviously though, so for now at least, folks have their choice.

iDanny, as far as your deal goes, I think it really depends on the options on the car - is this one loaded?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

The very reason I chose the TT was exactly that!
I also wanted a car that could get me from point a to b in the snow and this car fits the bill. I have had other sports cars none of which could do that in the winter months subsequently leading me to trading the cars in for Jeeps and then when the winter would be over I'd always be looking at 2 a seater again.
Got very expensive specially since I kept loosing a lot of money. I have been very happy with this little machine, Love the abilities it has and it's quality of build. I also have a dedicated set of winter tires on the car and have had no reason for concern when ever we have had any snow. Mind you if we get 3 feet then I'm going to wait for the plows because then the car becomes a plow itself due to the clearance but even at that I have never had a problem.If you find one you're looking for with all the toys you like give it a test run it is very different than the vet but every bit as nice, you may find it lacking the amount of power your use to. I believe the reason that Audi gave up on the V6 was due to economy(mpg) They didn't sell many abroad because of higher taxes and here the 4cyl turbo actually gave it more power with less thirst and now they are considering the etron (electric hybrid)which will be out at some point but when you think about their model range it really doesn't make sense because they are about to release an RS5 (Geneva auto show)which is rumored to have a v8 so go figure! Probably won't come here, much like the TTRS !

Last edited by Americo; 02-22-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I find it a little bit crazy that anyone spending the amount of money it takes to own a TT would be overly concerned about the difference in gas mileage for the 4cyl vs. 6cyl. Oh and yes the TTS is peppy....but the occasional turbo lag sucks sucks sucks. People here either mod their car or for the most part use the DSG in manual methinks. One of you guys get stuck at an intersection cause yer car won't move it's lagging TTS **** and then after brown striping the undies , tell me how ya love the car.

BosTTon
Old 02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've never driven the TTS ....I've only driven the TT....but when I was looking for a TT I definitely didn't want the turbo because of past cars that have had them and the lag..and then the boost! I had a 1994 Toyota twin turbo Supra and that car screwed but it also had the lag right before u felt like u were being shot from a cannon. I hear a lot of great things about the TTS and would def like to take one for a ride. I'm not sure on the gas mileage debate you would think the TTS would get better than 31...I think I average 24 so not that big a difference to me.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

The turbo lag is all but gone with my APR tuning and with 325hp I'm getting low 4's. Lag or not, You'll be nowhere but in my mirrors.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Fissues,

That's my point.....high frequency of people posting here having made mods to their car....the mods or keeping it in manual = less to no lag. Drove the TTS at two different dealerships. Both salesmen commented on their being occasional lag as did the mechanic who'd worked on my 2004 MK1 for 3.5 years (a huge Audi fanatic). My feeling is that the lag might be bearable IF I did not like to fast start my TT frequently (why have a TT if you are not pushing the sportiness of the car????). Great that people here like the TTS (there is a lot to like!) but it being a 4cyl tubro kills it for me.To be honest....if I did not live in New England and wanting quattro, I'd not own a TT (would have gone with the 300hp SLK350).

BosTTon
Old 02-22-2010, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just have to say that I personally don't equate off-the-line punch with sportiness. Stop light racing is a game of no brain in my book.

Since the only time you'll ever experience lag is from a dead start, un-prepped, it's just not a factor for me.

Quick Reply: Corvette c6 convertible to Audi tt v6 awd convertible