TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

flap motor issue audi tt 2008

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi TT Roadster self study program 391 is a wonderful resource explaining the operation of the top, as well as the location of the flapper motors... along with the rest of the car. A member over at the UK TT Forum, Swiss Jet Pilot posted the download link below. Enjoy it's great reading that any MK 2 Roadster need to viw.

Attached Files

Last edited by DownEastTTer; 05-11-2018 at 12:21 PM. Reason: double link
Old 05-12-2018, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DownEastTTer
Audi TT Roadster self study program 391 is a wonderful resource explaining the operation of the top, as well as the location of the flapper motors... along with the rest of the car. A member over at the UK TT Forum, Swiss Jet Pilot posted the download link below. Enjoy it's great reading that any MK 2 Roadster need to viw.

Very interesting reading indeed.
I have an appointment at the Audi dealership this Thursday. We'll let you all know what they tell me.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Djgiovanni44
Very interesting reading indeed.
I have an appointment at the Audi dealership this Thursday. We'll let you all know what they tell me.
yes, let us know how it goes! I broke down and finally ordered my vag-com device so waiting for that to arrive. I hope re initializing the system will fix it. Else I’ll also be forced to take her to the dealer as well :/. Here’s to hoping for the best!
Old 05-17-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Duane Loux

yes, let us know how it goes! I broke down and finally ordered my vag-com device so waiting for that to arrive. I hope re initializing the system will fix it. Else I’ll also be forced to take her to the dealer as well :/. Here’s to hoping for the best!
Well...
So I dropped off the car yesterday evening to be looked at first thing in the morning. Got the call this morning at 10 a.m. with the news that all had been checked and problem found to be the right flap motor unit. Basically the motor was on its way out and the sensors triggered the error since it didn't have enough power to lift the right side of the top. The left motor which is good also triggered an error as those sensors signaled the uneven movement of the top since the right side wasn't going up. This accounts for the multiple errors.

Since I could not make a case of the sensors as they were obviously working and signaling the computer, I asked why the motor would be found faulty if the right flap was going up and down. They explained the right flap is light and the motor had enough torque to operate it. The top on the other hand is heavy and cumbersome with its articulating nature.

They had a compelling case and I was left with no argument to go on. I resorted to the reports of this being a common issue, well documented amongst TT 8J owners. They told me it is a 9 year old car (2009 model year) and these motors will eventually go bad due to wear and tear of internal components (bearings, shafts, seals, sensors, etc, etc, etc).
I was quoted U.S. $840 + taxes. With such heavy hit, I asked if there was anything they can do to soften the blow. They said since my car was requiring the 90k service (wrench icon lit up on dash), they would give me a package deal. Total would have been U.S. $1750, but they'd let it go for $1500. I obviously declined. So now the car is done and will be picking it up tomorrow afternoon. The service has a 12 month/12k mile warranty.

I am disappointed but in the end had to pull the trigger. I do have to say they were very courteous, professional and provided excellent service. I can honestly say they were much better than Mercedes as the level of service when I've had to take my C-Class to the dealer pails in comparison. They provided me with a courtesy loaner at no charge, a 2018 Audi A4 S-Line with 600 miles on the clock. Fuel is also free so can return it on empty. I'll make sure I get my $840 worth

In summation, these motors are not built to last forever. They will fail eventually whether recalled or not. My recommendation is to have a supplier on hand and do the work yourself if you are handy with the hammer. You will need VAG-COM to reset the sensors and erase the codes afterwards.

By the way, any recommendations on a VAG-COM interface and program? Are they compatible with Apple MAC- OS?

Thank you
Old 05-17-2018, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you ask for the old motor by any chance? f so try cleaning in as outlined in the links I provided. If not ask them if they still have the part. I never heard of a motor wearing out... of course that doesn't mean they don't. But I kinda think the dealership felt it needed a little help with paying the floor plan for the month. The only cases I've run into are sensor issues due to the grease. A simple fix for an independent shop even for DIY. Replacement motors new are running around $100. Removal of the motor takes about 15 minutes or so. The fix open the motor clean off the extra grease another 15 minutes and replace. The biggest problem is getting access to VCDS program for resetting the top. And no it will not run on a Mac. I have an old Windows XP laptop that I use. A lot of the program can run on IOS but not the reseting one. Sorry.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DownEastTTer
Did you ask for the old motor by any chance? f so try cleaning in as outlined in the links I provided. If not ask them if they still have the part. I never heard of a motor wearing out... of course that doesn't mean they don't. But I kinda think the dealership felt it needed a little help with paying the floor plan for the month. The only cases I've run into are sensor issues due to the grease. A simple fix for an independent shop even for DIY. Replacement motors new are running around $100. Removal of the motor takes about 15 minutes or so. The fix open the motor clean off the extra grease another 15 minutes and replace. The biggest problem is getting access to VCDS program for resetting the top. And no it will not run on a Mac. I have an old Windows XP laptop that I use. A lot of the program can run on IOS but not the reseting one. Sorry.
I will ask them to please give me the old one back. Hopefully they won’t say they need it as a core/part of payment.

If I do get it I will take it apart and inspect. I may refurbish myself, however, at $100 a pop it may not even be worth it. In any case I will ask for it tomorrow when I pick the car up.

bummer on the OS for VCDS. I’ll have to get a second hand windows pc.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It blows my mind how much Audi charges for this repair, I’ve done the cleaning of the sensors and to do a swap is literally a 10 minuet per side job. Even with resetting the system I could see them having 30 minuets tops invested. If it was me I’d ask them how many tech hours there charging and where I could stand to watch them from. ha

As for if it will work with OS X on a Mac, I’m about to find out. I don’t see any issues though, I run virtual box, with windows XP and have done this many times with windows only software and it worked great. I believe macs run windows better than PCs do 😂
Old 05-15-2020, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audi TT Mk2 (8J) Convertible Top Faults and Solutions

As Mk2 Roadster owners have learned over the years, the most common failure for the Mk2 Roadster convertible top is due to the roof flaps. Audi even issued a TSB on this shortly after the Mk2 was first released. Over time the grease used to lubricate the gears migrates into the contacts for the potentiometer (Sensor for Canopy Flap; Left G596 / Right G597) and throws a fault code as the expected values (somewhere between 40-180) are not found. This is what's meant by the message "implausible signal".

When this happens, the Control Module (J256) no longer knows where the roof flap is located and deactivates the convertible top switch in the center console (E137) to prevent a collision between the roof and the flaps. Once this fault is registered, you can't just clear it until the problem has been resolved and an Adaptation has been performed.

Fortunately the fix is an easy DIY. Just open up the servos and clean out the grease. Then, run the Adaptation so the Control Module "learns" the new max and min values as the servo is operated through it's full open and closed range.This isn't difficult to do, but you need a VCDS from Ross-Tech to run the Adaptation. None of the OBD-dongles (e.g. OBDeleven, Carista, etc.) have the Adaptation function. Replacing or cleaning the servos and clearing the fault won't solve this issue as the Controller has to "learn" the new values.

For more information on the Roadster problems and solutions, check out these posts in the Audi TT Forum UK website.

FAQ - Mk2 Roadster Convertible Soft Top Problems & Solutions - https://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/view...f=43&t=1953141
FAQ - Mk2 Roadster Convertible Top Fault Codes & Adaptation - https://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/view...f=19&t=1829258
The Ultimate Audi TT Mk2 (8J) Roadster Compendium - https://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/view...f=19&t=1813258

Grease migrates from the gears onto the potentiometer resulting in a fault "implausible signal".

Motor and Sensor inside the Flap Servo.

Last edited by SwissJetPilot; 05-15-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a typical scan report from a Roadster with a convertible top problem -

Address 26: Auto Roof Labels: 8J7-959-255.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 8J7 959 255 B
Component and/or Version: 256 VSG TT H14 0110
Software Coding:
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000 000 00000
VCID: 3E73D87369826EEEA6F-806B
2 Faults Found:

02000 - Switch Position <-- this is the item that's reporting a problem
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent <-- this is what's wrong with that item.
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 3
Mileage: 117479 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2018.04.05
Time: 17:05:30

03246 - Sensor for Canopy Flap; Left (G596)
<-- this is the item that's reporting a problem
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent <-- this is what's wrong with that item
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 3
Mileage: 117479 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2018.04.05
Time: 17:05:30

Here's a list of known fault codes associated with the convertible top operation -

01997 - Convertible Top Locking Motor (V223). Located in the center of the roof. Secures the left and right top latches.
02000 - Switch Position: Implausible Signal. Reported from the control module that a switch signal was not as expected. This is most likely the center console switch (E137) being reported as it's deactivated by the system when a roof flap servo or other fault is detected. In the event of a roof flap fault, E137 is deactivated to prevent the user from operating the top automatically and causing a collision between the roof flaps and top mechanism.
00830 - Convertible Top Control Module (J256). The convertible top operation control unit J256
gathers information from the sensors, evaluates this and activates the actuators. The convertible top operation control unit J256 is also responsible for system diagnostics.The control unit is housed in the luggage compartment under the cargo floor.
03246 - Sensor for Canopy Flap; Left (G596) Located in the left flap servo with motor, the error occurs when the expected value is below ~42 and ~184.
03247 - Sensor for Canopy Flap; Right (G597) Located in the right flap servo with motor, the error occurs when the expected value is below ~42 and ~184.
NOTE - for faults 03246 and 03247 the "Sensor" is actually the potentiometer inside the flap servo assembly (see picture below). When too much grease gets onto the contacts, it can cause a bad voltage (implausible signal) and the top will stop operating since it can no longer determine the position of the flap.
01091 - Convertible Top Front Switch (F202) This is a Hall Sensor located in the left main bearing of the convertible top frame.
01092 - Convertible top Stowed Switch (F171) The signal from the convertible top stowed switch informs the convertible top operation control unit J256 whether the convertible top is stowed in the top box or not. The sensor is located on the left main bearing of the convertible top mechanism.
01097 – Convertible Top Front Latch switch (F172) This switch is integrated in the lock bottom part on the left-hand side of the windscreen frame.
01620 – Convertible Top switch (E137) Located in the center console, to the right of the hand brake.
03245 - Canopy Position Implausible Related to V118 Convertible top operation hydraulic pump.
00446 - Function Limitation due to Under-Voltage. Reporting a voltage condition below 6.0-volts.

Fault codes are unknown for these components: If you find them when running a Fault Scan, please add them to this post!

????? - Convertible top latch switch; Right (F170). Located on the right side, leading edge of roof.
????? - Convertible top lock open switch (F294)
????? - Convertible top lock closed switch (F295). Left & right leading edge of roof. these two switches are in series
????? - Convertible top operation warning lamp (K215). Yellow lamp in the Tachometer.
????? - Convertible top cover motor; Right (V381). Located in the right servo housing with G596.
????? - Convertible top cover motor; Left (V383). Located in the left servo housing with G597.

Last edited by SwissJetPilot; 05-15-2020 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I started this thread back in 2017 and guess what?! My car is at the dealer now because the top is stuck! Have had it fixed several times since the original post.