TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Information on subwoofer installations (TT Mk2)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Information on subwoofer installations (TT Mk2)

Looking for information on any applications done by forum users on an Audi TTS (MK2). Mine is a 2014 and Im looking for ideas on how to install a 10 or 12" sub.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To elaborate a bit: As most of you have probably experienced the OEM Bose system is "okay", but after a few years has developed some buzzing in the lower frequency range...particularly from the rear speakers. Not sure if they're blown or if I'm just catching some vibration....anyway, I could just fix / replace the speaker and move on. But I've decided to hang on to the old girl for a few years more. She's an Audi TTS, 2014. She's renewed my interest after having installed an APR Stage II+ tune along with a few other goodies. She's legit quick now and I've fallen in love with the car all over again.

Now I'm thinking about upgrading the stereo system. I'm thinking about going with some form of stealth installation. That's to say:

1) I want to keep the original head unit
2) I'm not looking to win competitions, but I do want a rich, full sound. Got my eyes on some Focal speakers.
3) I think I could probably get a 10" sub in the well where the spare would have gone.

I explained to a local installer that my decision on making this investment is predicated on his ability to get all the equipment in with little to no visible detection. I want the sub and associated amps to hide away under the folding cover to the spare tire well. If he can make that happen, then likely I'll pull the trigger.

The issue: The well on the 2014 TTS has this protruding dome where the spare would ostensibly be secured with a bolt or something. Its dome shape is prohibitive and I'm not sure if I can take it out (as in just unscrew it or something) or if I'd have to get more aggressive and cut it out. That's not an attractive option for me....I'd rather not cut into the car.

My question: Has anyone encountered this and if so, how did they address it? I've found a couple of interesting applications on YouTube, but unfortunately they didn't elaborate on how the resolved this problem...you only see the before and after.

Okay, appreciate any input.

Best
Absconds