TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

New 2011 MK2 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2011 MK2 Owner

Hello! I just picked up a used 2011 MK2 TT Quattro with 69,000 miles. I'm a first time owner and have a few questions:
  • When driving in S mode, I noticed that it stays in 2nd gear until it almost redlines. Sometimes it feels like it's not going to change to 3rd. When I go easier on the accelerator, it does shift to 3rd, but I have to be very gentle on the pedal. The gear changes feel normal when in regular D mode. Has anyone experienced this?
  • I notice some rattling in the car when the music is on. I have the regular sound system. Any advice on minimizing these rattles?
  • Would you recommend I get an extended warranty on the vehicle?
  • I plan to take it in for the 75K mile service when that time comes. Is there anything else you guys recommend I do to keep this car in good shape?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

- Excited New TT Owner
Old 01-19-2018, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

The S mode purposely keeps the car in a lower gear to maximize performance. Hard to judge with the few specifics you provide (rpm, speed, throttle) but it sounds normal.
Sounds like you have a blown/loose speaker. Very few problems with the stereo have been reported.
The Mk 2 is very reliable. The most common problems are 1. failure of the rear tail light connectors (check to insure that the brightness of taillights on both sides is the same) and replacement requires replacement of the entire assembly, 2. failure of mag ride shocks (if the car has that option) after about 7-8 years which cost about $1800 per shock to replace. Most folks are replacing then with standard shocks. 3. Failure of the timing chain system if the motor oil has not been changed per spec with spec oil because the chain oiling port gets clogged with sludge (this is not nearly as common as the shock and light issue). Most extended warranties do not cover shocks and many to not cover lights. I would not get an extended warranty unless you see you already have problem #1 or have mag ride shocks AND you are certain the warranty would cover them.
Check with your dealer service advisor and ask if any service has been neglected for your VIN. (You should have done this before you bought the car.)
Old 01-19-2018, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
The most common problems are 1. failure of the rear tail light connectors (check to insure that the brightness of taillights on both sides is the same) and replacement requires replacement of the entire assembly,
Timely comment. The other day I noticed that all the lights in my right rear assembly are dimmer than the left side. You said the entire assembly needs to be replaced? That's disappointing (understatement).

I wonder if LED replacement bulbs can mask the problem?
Old 01-20-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Something to try first

Originally Posted by DissenTTS
Timely comment. The other day I noticed that all the lights in my right rear assembly are dimmer than the left side. You said the entire assembly needs to be replaced? That's disappointing (understatement).

I wonder if LED replacement bulbs can mask the problem?
There is a YouTube video on how to take apart the rear light assembly which is pretty simple once you know the process. Inspect the connector. If it has not melted so you can still remove the connector, you can scrape the corrosion off the metal on both sides of the connection and this will likely solve the problem for a while. (The problem is the corrosion increases resistance which generates heat, which melts the connector.) Alternatively, if you have a good relationship with your dealer, I think you can wrangle a steep discount (if not free) replacement because there is a TSB on this.

Yes, LED bulbs will mask the problem because the LEDs require less power and the lower the power, the less heat generated to melt the connector.

According to my Service Manager, all Mk 2s will eventually have this problem. Had one of mine replaced recently at the end of my CPO warranty.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks @Vegas-roadster for the info. My car doesn't have mag ride and thankfully, my rear tail lights are both equally bright. I turned the bass setting down to about 45% and that seemed to do the trick with the rattling. As far as I can tell, they don't seem blown out. The sound system overall though is kind of meh...

Here is my baby:

Old 01-21-2018, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do you have the Bose or Concert sound system? My Concert has no rattles with bass turned up full. Irrespective of the system, there should be no rattles so something is loose.