TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Popping coming from suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping coming from suspension

At least I hope it's the suspension . It's an '09 TT roadster (FWD), and the sound started Monday. Happens turning in either direction, as well as under acceleration or under braking at lower speeds when driving straight, which is why my initial assumption was suspension and not the steering rack. You can hear it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGIx...ature=youtu.be

I spent some time feeling around underneath while someone else was turning the wheel. The only place so far that I actually feel the pop is the shield the camera is pointing at. Nothing when holding the control arm, and when I reach up and grab any of the pieces I can get to above the shield, nothing. I don't have it jacked up, so my reach underneath is a bit limited, so I could be missing it. It's definitely more on the driver side, and is there regardless of how much I drive it.

Anyone had anything like that pop up? I likely won't have time to jack it up and start taking things apart until next weekend, so I'm hoping it's nothing serious I shouldn't be driving on.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2015, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Figured it out, hopefully this helps anyone else who encounters a sound like this. Turns out it wasn't the suspension. I got the front end jacked up and removed the plastic shield and heat shield, and found that the only place I could feel the popping was from the section of subframe that passed under the lower control arm. Turns out, that subframe bolt was loose (marked in the pics below). Tightened it up, put both shields back on, and the popping is gone.

Incidentally, about half of the bolts holding the heat shield on were loose too. Never had that happen on any other car I've owned. Oh well, all good for now

Old 07-09-2018, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

THANKS A BUNCH FOR YOUR POST!!!!!!!

I found you video on Youtube which led me to this post!!!

On one side, I had one bolt completely missing (see red arrow) and the other was hand tight, on the other side, one was tight and the other was also hand tight.

I removed the 3 bolts that I had, cleaned the bolt and nut side with brake cleaner and compressed air, applied medium lock tight (blue) and re-installed 4 bolts nice and tight.

Super pumped during road test because there's no more clunk/cracking/popping/clicking sound coming from the sub frame (subframe).

A post more than 3 years old fixed my problem!!!!!

I have a 2008 Audi TT Roadster MK2 3.2L VR6.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Glad it helped! Yea, turned out I had a few loose down there, the popping on mine came back a couple of days later, and looking further I also found one missing and several more loose. Had the dealer put a new set in down there shortly after and haven't had an issue since. Around the same time I also found the bolts holding the rear wing on loose, tightened them up while it was extended and they haven't loosened again.