TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Potential TT Buyer with questions -1st Audi

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential TT Buyer with questions -1st Audi

Good evening. I am new to Audiworld and need some advice with respect to the new MkII TT.

I think I may have been bitten by the TT bug. My intention was to look at an A3, but quickly became distracted...Drove a 3.2 TT today- LOVE THIS CAR! Dealer did not have a 2.0TQ on the lot, so I did not get a chance to compare the two. Reminds me of my old 944 Turbo S (space and layout).

So, I turn to you for some subjective feedback. I plan on using the car as a weekend driver, AutoX, & HPDE. With that said, I have a couple of questions:

1.) 2.0 TQ or 3.2 Q? Which is a better platform for the track rat in mind?

2.) Is a chipped 2.0tq linear or jolty? How does the 3.2 compare?

3.) Opt for the magnetic ride ($1400), or donate the funds to an aftermarket suspension?

4.) Lease or finance?

5.) Is anyone paying invoice, if not, how much over? Is anyone paying under?

6.) KBB Trade in is $29k for a 08' 3.2 TT with 8k miles. My local dealer is selling a trade in for $34k. Blk on Blk with magnetic ride, 6 speed manual, no nav., standard warranty. Good deal?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts
Default From a MkI Track Junkie.

We in Southeast have only seen a couple of MkIIs at events so far. There was a 2.0 FrontTrack in my group at Daytona, and 3.2 Q C manual at Barber last fall. It is my opinion that the 3.2 makes the better HPDE car. Fewer mechanical issues from track use. They seem to be available at good prices, I prefer the manual trans. I may not be faster than a DSG, but there is still satisfaction in a well executed heel and toe downshift. I feel more "involved" . I would probably lean towards getting springs and Koni Sports rather than mag ride, but I hear it is great. Our A6 has factory nav, and it is very clumsy compared to the Garmin 750 I use in the TT and in my Tundra daily driver. I wouldn't base my choice of a MkII on whether it had factory nav or not. I will probably be looking for a 3.2 manual in a year or so, and adding the aforementioned suspension mods and improved brakes. Then--- bring on the TTSs. I'll be ready. Actually, I'm ready now! Would be really fun to have a TTS or two at some ACNA events this next season. You guys should check the calendar. We would love to see you come down to some of the Southeast events.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:22 AM

Default I have a 3.2 with mag ride.

I had a B6 1.8T before with many mods and the TT is more fun to drive. I've autcrossed it once and had it at a couple DE's. The TT is faster than my A4 was with chip injectors exhaust big brakes suspension etc. I have also done nothing with it short of thrown some light tint on the windows. I like the mag ride. My A4 was on coilovers and while it handled well, it rode hard. The mag ride I keep in normal on the street and hit the button for the track and I am ready to go. I don't miss the turbo at all. No waiting on boost and the 3.2 is nice and responsive. The car has 16,000 miles on it now and has been trouble free.
At the end of the day, you can test drive both and see what you like better. I drove a 2.0T quattro and my only complaint with with the car was the lack of power, mainly because I am so used to the 3.2.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Potential TT Buyer with questions -1st Audi

I have an 08 3.2 and I track my car regularly. It does quite well but is a little under horsepowered for long straightaways. Stock, it tends to understeer badly but a rear sway bar and better track tires (the stock run flats don't do well on th etrack) fixed most of it. Personally would get a TTS as it already has the Mag Ride (I don't have it on my car and I regret it) and DSG (which is quicker than the standard). I just drove one and am impressed vs. my unmodified 3.2. Slightly more horsepower (and should chip well), slightly lighter, and stiffer suspension.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Here's a post I did last week on why I went with the '09 2.0Q vs a deeply discounted '08 3.2Q....

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt2/msgs/39785.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/tt2/msgs/39785.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-04-2009, 03:54 PM

Default I really appreciate all of the feedback.

I guess I need to go drive a 2.0 TQ. I have always owned manual's and always been resistant to manumatics....I guess I can be turned too.

I noticed that some of the tuners put out some pretty good chips for the 2.0t. With this car chipped, HP and torque becomes a mute point. Will post my thoughts on the 2.0 T after the test drive.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:56 PM

Default how bout car seats for the little ones?

Anyone had first hand experience with this?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There were some posts within the last week with some funny photos - seems to work fine.